How to Bake With Octane & Deploy 6DoF To VR

Forums: How to Bake With Octane & Deploy 6DoF To VR
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the Octane for Unity Alpha

Moderator: ChrisHekman

How to Bake With Octane & Deploy 6DoF To VR

Postby MaxXR » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:34 am

MaxXR Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:34 am
Hi all

Just loaded up Introduction to Octane for Unity scene https://unity.otoy.com/guides/overview/
Great to see such beautiful rendering in Unity!

Did some searching in forum but still struggling to get my head around how i can bake and deploy one of these OTOY demo scenes to a VR scene that i can walk/fly through using my HTC Vive?

For eg - dont' think i need to stream - viewtopic.php?f=129&t=63418&p=323832&hilit=octane+vive+vr#p323832 - just need to bake and export locally. Can one do this?
Reddit article discussed in viewtopic.php?f=98&t=57450 talks about cube maps but 'unity vive cube maps' in this forum search returns nothing.

Unfortunately there don't seem to be any tutorials on the internet. Was importing SteamVR and can preview in the scene - but can't preview the RenderTarget.
That's ok if I can export to VR (never done this and not sure how) but it throws errors. Anyone know how to do this?

Using windows 10, and unity 2017.2 screenshot of other settings below:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gxg76vy2ohkq3 ... 9.png?dl=0

Many thanks!

PS. image wasn't displaying in img tags. Would be nice if one could just drag and drop like many other forums. Any reason why OTOY doesn't have this?
MaxXR

Re: How to Bake With Octane & Deploy 6DoF To VR

Postby ChrisHekman » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:16 am

ChrisHekman Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:16 am
You can save/export the rendered result as a texture via the PBR Viewport. (One of the middle buttons)
In unity - you can reimport that texture as a cube map with latitude-longitude mapping.

Unity 2017.3 and higher have stereo panoramic skybox material that can use Octane stereo panoramic renders. Seems that unity supports both side-by-side and over-under
Here is an example. Havnt tested it in VR yet personally.
Example.png

More here:
https://docs.unity3d.com/2018.1/Documen ... ramic.html
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby rappet » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:44 pm

rappet Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:44 pm
ChrisHekman wrote:You can save/export the rendered result as a texture via the PBR Viewport. (One of the middle buttons)
In unity - you can reimport that texture as a cube map with latitude-longitude mapping.

Unity 2017.3 and higher have stereo panoramic skybox material that can use Octane stereo panoramic renders. Seems that unity supports both side-by-side and over-under
Here is an example. Havnt tested it in VR yet personally.
Example.png

More here:
https://docs.unity3d.com/2018.1/Documen ... ramic.html

Hi Chris,

Is what you are showing not only to view a 360 rendering...
I am also wondering about the question from MaxXR, phrased a litte different:
"how i can bake and deploy an OctaneRender (ORBX) scene to use it in a Unity VR scene that i can walk/fly through using my HTC Vive?"
So not using the OctaneRendner plugin to show the scene, but more like a saved game?

greetz,
rappet
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby MaxXR » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:21 pm

MaxXR Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:21 pm
Sent an email to OTOY and typed this up (below). Reposting here in case any agree/disagree. IMO OTOY will need a complete overhaul of how to use their product if they want to democratise cinematic rendering. ATM seems like a lot of work to sift through to find out how to solve problems. In other words, from a noobs perspective, otoy makes it unnecessarily hard to find out how to get stuff done. But of course it's early. Hopefully this feedback is useful and they create some better tools.

-----
Unity for Octane Feedback
As a unity and octane noob I thought you may like some feedback on the integration. As someone who works in communication and and getting info into other peoples' heads every day, it seems you're making your product difficult to harness by structuring information in a non-learner friendly way.

Your docs are simply not beginner friendly because you rush to list all of your whats instead of chunking your info into segments based upon different types of learners
- i.e.
    WHY (does this feature/etc exist/why care)?
    WHAT is it?
    HOW to use it?
    WHAT IF (x happens, or you want to try z)?

For background - see http://www.4mat.eu/method-learning-styles.aspx (this model is very simple, backed by lots of research, and proven to help people learn more quickly).

Your current documentation is probably great for experienced people but if you want to get unity devs building great stuff, it'd be much more helpful to structure your info in a way that's easier to understand / doesn't assume knowledge and most importantly, contextualises all WHAT information with WHY and HOW information.

Your docs have the WHAT covered. What you lack is the rest. I highly recommend you create a list of common jobs/WHYS that devs want to solve and the ways HOW they can do them using otoy. I know for me this would make learning your software much less painful and much more enjoyable.

For eg, here are what i imagine will be common problems:
    how can i make my unity scene look great using octane? what about for AR/VR?
    how can i make a game object look great using octane?
    how can i make a 2d cinematic animation using octane?
    how can i make a 3d cinematic animated object using octane?

Hope you and OTOY can produce some more helpful educational videos/tutorials/docs as your product is powerful but also complex and the current approach will prevent most people (except those who are able to persist and persit) from accessing this sweet software.
MaxXR

Postby MaxXR » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:36 am

MaxXR Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:36 am
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1lpb6zwsh1kpi ... .32.53.png

Thanks so am creating a texture and will then try and re-import as a cube map.
Is there any way to find out how long a render job will take?

Says "Compiling scene..." under the Render Target viewport but I've no idea if this will take minutes, hours or days lol. May be time to sign up for orc?

Looking forward to flying around in this scene :)
MaxXR

Return to Octane for Unity