Sample scene for the ParticleSystem?

Forums: Sample scene for the ParticleSystem?
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the Octane for Unity Alpha

Moderator: ChrisHekman

Sample scene for the ParticleSystem?

Postby caladius » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:47 pm

caladius Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:47 pm
I've tried to use unity's standard material on their ParticleSystem but it doesn't seem to work.

Any plan to release a sample scene for unity's built-in ParticleSystem?
caladius

Re: Sample scene for the ParticleSystem?

Postby ChrisHekman » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:50 am

ChrisHekman Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:50 am
The unity particle system is not supported at the moment.
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby caladius » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:00 pm

caladius Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:00 pm
Thanks, is the feature planned on the roadmap? Without particles it's hard to make even basic fire and dust
caladius

Postby ChrisHekman » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:03 am

ChrisHekman Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:03 am
caladius wrote:Thanks, is the feature planned on the roadmap? Without particles it's hard to make even basic fire and dust

It is, however we are rolling out other features first.

At the moment fire/dust/clouds can be simulated using volumetrics by using the .vdb format. At the moment you will need to import them into your unity project as an .orbx and will only show up in octane renders.
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby tttlllrrr » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:04 am

tttlllrrr Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:04 am
Is it possible to animate an OrbX from Unity?
tttlllrrr
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby caladius » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:21 pm

caladius Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:21 pm
Just saw Unity 2017.3 adding support for the Standard Surface Shader on ParticleSystem, and Octane already supports the Standard Shader on regular meshes, so I thought I'd come here and take a look.

Using a vdb/orbx file for particles can be disruptive to the workflow, switching shaders and assets between video and gameplay can be a headache , and i do believe 99% of Unity users have no idea what the formats are or even what editors are supposed to open them, but if they can use the latest Standard Shader in both games and video for meshes and particles alike, man it would be really great.

I made some sample clips with Octane and the effects look great. Personally speaking the only thing Octane turns me off right now is the particle system, which i, probably like many other lazy people busy making their games, have no interest nor time to learn a brand new set of skills simply for some particles in a video, while particles are crucial in any decent fx video.

Hope you guys can utilise the new particle standard shaders and bring the in-editor particle support soon :)
caladius

Postby Xhed » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:12 am

Xhed Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:12 am
tttlllrrr wrote:Is it possible to animate an OrbX from Unity?

Not at the moment, we have some issues to resolve before we can add that functionality.

caladius wrote:Just saw Unity 2017.3 adding support for the Standard Surface Shader on ParticleSystem, and Octane already supports the Standard Shader on regular meshes, so I thought I'd come here and take a look.

Using a vdb/orbx file for particles can be disruptive to the workflow, switching shaders and assets between video and gameplay can be a headache , and i do believe 99% of Unity users have no idea what the formats are or even what editors are supposed to open them, but if they can use the latest Standard Shader in both games and video for meshes and particles alike, man it would be really great.

I made some sample clips with Octane and the effects look great. Personally speaking the only thing Octane turns me off right now is the particle system, which i, probably like many other lazy people busy making their games, have no interest nor time to learn a brand new set of skills simply for some particles in a video, while particles are crucial in any decent fx video.

Hope you guys can utilise the new particle standard shaders and bring the in-editor particle support soon :)

We have ideas on how to use Unity's particle system in Octane. As you might guess, it'll take some effort to make the particles look good in Octane, as camera facing planes aren't great for creating realistic shadows & reflections.
- Rick
Xhed
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby caladius » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:18 pm

caladius Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:18 pm
Thank you. Just a heads up, the Unity ParticleSystem does also support 3d mesh particles with physics. I was quite into getting the supermicro 8-gpu workstation till i found out there's no particle support. With nVidia Titan V and Unity 2017.3 releasing, hope you guys can make the particle feature possible soon :)
caladius

Return to Octane for Unity