Requesting more info

Forums: Requesting more info
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the Octane for Unity Alpha

Moderator: ChrisHekman

Requesting more info

Postby monkeybrother » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:24 pm

monkeybrother Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:24 pm
I've been looking forward to the octane/unity integration and was hoping to use it in a couple of projects planned after new years, but the info I'm finding here is a bit disheartening. The baking is nowhere near a useable state and the answers about workflow I find here is worrying. Baking one material at a time and applying the resulting texture to an unlit material is just not an acceptable workflow in 2017. Without a baking workflow, this integration is next to useless; why would anyone need a still image renderer in Unity?

To me, the very basics of a baking tool would need:
- batch baking of all/selected objects/materials and easy re-baking when needed, without the need to manually switch materials etc.
- the ability to bake just the light (direct/indirect) without diffuse. To be able to use the lightmaps in a standard unity/lightmapped material (where I can use normal maps and control metalness etc) is a must.

A component that you put on all objects that should be baked, where you can control rendered image file name and what UV channel and materials to use etc, maybe?

There are several questions about this, but none of them have been answered. Could you (Otoy) please state what your plans for the baker is and tell us if you are aware and agree/disagree with what people here are saying? More info would be welcome.

Thanks.
monkeybrother

Re: Requesting more info

Postby ChrisHekman » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:40 pm

ChrisHekman Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:40 pm
Baking is still being worked on so please bear with us.
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby DartFrog » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:56 pm

DartFrog Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:56 pm
I agree that baking is... half baked. I've been trying to find a decent work-around. Unity has the Octane plugin demo but it is difficult to install, and difficult to use. I gave up. I tried Datasmith (3dsmax to Unreal) and that worked pretty well getting everything in and converting a V-ray scene to Unreal - but there's no Octane support. The light baking had to be done in Unreal.

Long story short - there's no good way to do it that i know about. http://nurulize.com/ is working on a solution that seems amazing but just isn't out yet.

It's funny that you posted this. I've been working hard the past few days to get Octane into a game engine easily and my search found your post from today.

Hang in there brother. Others want the same thing. There are dozens of us.
DartFrog
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby m.f » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:49 pm

m.f Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:49 pm
I agree with DartFrog that we can expect it soon.
Having unique baking ID groups assigned automatically is already a good start.
Indeed having a procedure to iterate through multiple meshes should be the next step.
Talking of full-light baking, a great feature would be to have a postfix-based bake targeting (such as _hi _low) to light-bake, for example, all hi-poly meshes with displacement on all the corresponding low-poly ones with normal maps.

I wouldn't say Vray for Unreal is any further ahead than Octane for Unity, and what Nurulize is doing is great, but Otoy is pretty much on the same page. Actually my bet goes on Otoy for a bunch of different reasons.
m.f

Return to Octane for Unity