Not a fan of the PBR overide

Forums: Not a fan of the PBR overide
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the Octane for Unity Alpha

Moderator: ChrisHekman

Not a fan of the PBR overide

Postby adamnerva » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:20 pm

adamnerva Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:20 pm
So this is starting to come along, and congrats on the progress, but I don't think the implementation of the PBR override material makes any practical sense. A few weeks ago, I mentioned Paul's Octane Modo plugin because he implemented an Octane material override that doesn't alter or wreck the native material/renderer. This is essential. If you wreck the native Unity real-time renderer by losing your realtime shader, then I am struggling to find the the advantage of Offline rendering in Unity vs. just rending directly in your DCC app. What I recommend is a component that we attach to the mesh that allows us to override a material index. This should work meshes that contain multiple materials.

This way, we will have the flexibility of the Octane material node graph, and get to keep the realtime render intact as well.
adamnerva
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Not a fan of the PBR overide

Postby Goldorak » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:57 am

Goldorak Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:57 am
adamnerva wrote:So this is starting to come along, and congrats on the progress, but I don't think the implementation of the PBR override material makes any practical sense. A few weeks ago, I mentioned Paul's Octane Modo plugin because he implemented an Octane material override that doesn't alter or wreck the native material/renderer. This is essential. If you wreck the native Unity real-time renderer by losing your realtime shader, then I am struggling to find the the advantage of Offline rendering in Unity vs. just rending directly in your DCC app. What I recommend is a component that we attach to the mesh that allows us to override a material index. This should work meshes that contain multiple materials.

This way, we will have the flexibility of the Octane material node graph, and get to keep the realtime render intact as well.

I was thinking the same thing. I will talk to the devs about refactoring the PBR override system so it is non-destructive.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby adamnerva » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:34 am

adamnerva Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:34 am
That would be appreciated.
adamnerva
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ThomasPasieka » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:10 pm

ThomasPasieka Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:10 pm
Yeah currently this is a pretty destructive and not acceptable workflow.
ThomasPasieka

Postby nights » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:52 am

nights Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:52 am
I agree. It has to be able to both do native Unity real-time rendering and do Octane rendering without switching materials.
Also, for emissive component, Unitys default Standard PBR material have an emissive channel? Why not use this? If its not enough, maybe Octane can extend the standard material, or you add an extra component to the emissive objects in the scene where you can specify these extra attributes. This would be much better workflow moving forward!
Thanks!
nights

Return to Octane for Unity