Any way to batch multiple timelines?

Forums: Any way to batch multiple timelines?
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the Octane for Unity Alpha

Moderator: ChrisHekman

Any way to batch multiple timelines?

Postby EFS » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:45 pm

EFS Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:45 pm
Hey,

We're have anywhere between 20-50 timelines we need to render out. It would be great if there were a way to batch these in the Timeline editor. Just specify how many timelines to render and drag each playabledirector into a list.

It would be bonus points if the renders of each playabledirector entry was automatically put into a properly named folder :).
EFS
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Any way to batch multiple timelines?

Postby EFS » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:14 pm

EFS Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:14 pm
Any chance this can be done? We have closer to 100 timelines I have to output. I don't think I have to explain how painful that is to do manually.
EFS
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ChrisHekman » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:17 am

ChrisHekman Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:17 am
Batching is not possible at the moment.
We are re-designing the timeline renderer interface. I believe batching will be part of it.

And are looking into adding a scripting API.
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby EFS » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:41 pm

EFS Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:41 pm
ChrisHekman wrote:Batching is not possible at the moment.
We are re-designing the timeline renderer interface. I believe batching will be part of it.

Great. The interface would be very useful to quickly batch stuff, but a robust scripting API would be the best (for my uses). Something that lets us render out a timeline to a specific place and know when its complete would be great. I'd like to to use that to create my own batch tool which renders a timeline, creates a mp4 with ffmpeg, and repeats. This is definitely an integral part of having an cost-effective workflow for our office.
EFS
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby EFS » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:18 pm

EFS Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:18 pm
ChrisHekman wrote:Batching is not possible at the moment.

Just noting I figured out how to do this using the current C# API. All of our timelines are being auto-generated and then Octane is automatically rendering them out. I just have to implement a bit to get it to batch (I'm having a bug that should solveable on my end with switching timelines and getting an error) and then I can automate ffmpeg as well. All told, now that I've figured it out its a great process.

Just flagging that its technically possible now ... so if anyone does ask, just point them to your existing Octane.Render API.
EFS
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Octane for Unity