Octane for Unity - what is this?

Forums: Octane for Unity - what is this?
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the Octane for Unity Alpha

Moderator: ChrisHekman

Octane for Unity - what is this?

Postby Timmaigh! » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:48 pm

Timmaigh! Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:48 pm
I just stumbled across this and it interests me, but i have no clue what is the point of it. Is this some kind of evolution of the Brigade engine integrated into Unity game engine, so games created with this are gonna be pathtraced? Or is Brigade something different? I did not pay that much attention to all the Octane development, since it got so complex with all the VR, Lightfields and whatnot... i pretty much use Octane Standalone for archviz, so thats what i follow usually only.

Anyway, even if this is not what i described in the above sentence, can this be used to "translate" entire Octane scene into Unity and use the game engine for interactive arch viz? This is something i would want to do immensely, since i saw those fancy Unreal Engine videos on Utube, like that flat in Paris....

Thanks for any response/explanation....
R9 7950x, 64GB DDR5 6000 MHz, 2x RTX 4090, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Kingston KC3000 2TB, Kingston KC3000 1TB, WD Caviar Gold 6TB, Win11 Pro 64bit
Timmaigh!
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Octane for Unity - what is this?

Postby glimpse » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:22 pm

glimpse Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:22 pm
hi there,

please listen to this podcast where Jules (OTOY CEO) talks a bit about this as well. If You still have some questions, feel free to leave them bellow & We'll try to answer those.

Sinc.
tom
glimpse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mojave » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:27 pm

mojave Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:27 pm
Better than me explaining what the Octane for Unity plugin is I think it's better to share with you some resources.

First the plugin's landing pages at the OTOY and Unity websites where you can see all features, roadmap and tutorials:

https://unity.otoy.com/
https://unity3d.com/partners/otoy/octane

Also, an introductory video that can be of help and illustrate what the plugin is about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1pCGwEpaWA
mojave
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Timmaigh! » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:49 pm

Timmaigh! Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:49 pm
Thank you both, i listened to the podcast (most of it anyway) and watch that introductory video + another one from Siggraph on youtube...

...if i understood it correctly, Brigade is still something different and Octane for Unity does not make games raytraced - in which case i still dont really understand what is it good for... why would i move my scene from 3dsmax or any other modeling app to Unity, if not to improve the look of the Unity games? Is it there to do pathtraced animations in Unity? Those can be done in modeling app already, right? Am i something missing?

Bottom line, seems this is no use for what i would want, creating interactive arch viz in Unity... maybe Brigade will be that. This is not maybe something concerning purely OTOY or Octane, because its not strictly about stuff like light simulation, but i wish someone would create application for architects, which would let you make similar stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3LtFrMAvQ4

but in more user friendly manner than UE4, which really feels like something to "develop" stuff with, when me wants editor - i want to concentrate on my creation, not on inner workings of some software, which i wont ever understand more than on the basic level. My vision is to create my own 3D model in modeling app, then import it into the app, add materials in a simple manner like it works in Octane (literally drag and drop from the live database), then add some basic interactive stuff like foliage and grass (which would move in the wind), moving water surfaces, etc.... and then finally run it as a "game", like on that UE vid - then show this to the clients (eventually even in VR too). If there was possibility of interactive weather, like turning of rain, on top of all that, it would be pure gold. Everything looking at least as good as on those Unreal vids, i mean, if its not nowhere near close to Octanesque photorealism, its good enough. Obviously, if it could look even better, while running in real-time on current hardware, even better.

Maybe i imagine all of it too easily - well, sure i am - but i wish someone in a company like OTOY would take notice, what people like me would really appreciate.

One last thing, regarding that Podcast - it sort of annoyed me to hear, that the main reason for Octane version working on AMD cards is actually not AMD GPU users, but Apple users.
R9 7950x, 64GB DDR5 6000 MHz, 2x RTX 4090, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Kingston KC3000 2TB, Kingston KC3000 1TB, WD Caviar Gold 6TB, Win11 Pro 64bit
Timmaigh!
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Octane for Unity