Can you get Paul (face_off) to help on this?

Forums: Can you get Paul (face_off) to help on this?
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the Octane for Unity Alpha

Moderator: ChrisHekman

Can you get Paul (face_off) to help on this?

Postby adamnerva » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:20 pm

adamnerva Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:20 pm
I feel like several of my issues with this plugin have already been solved by Paul in the Modo plugin. For instance, he is converting the Unreal shader on the fly, but also provides an Octane Material Override that allows for a custom Octane material while leaving the native material/shader in place. Things like subdivision are controlled by item-level overrides. Much of the common sense logic that Paul applied to the Modo plugin would also work great for Unity too. I know he is busy, but maybe he can consult.
adamnerva
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Can you get Paul (face_off) to help on this?

Postby Goldorak » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:28 pm

Goldorak Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:28 pm
adamnerva wrote:I feel like several of my issues with this plugin have already been solved by Paul in the Modo plugin. For instance, he is converting the Unreal shader on the fly, but also provides an Octane Material Override that allows for a custom Octane material while leaving the native material/shader in place. Things like subdivision are controlled by item-level overrides. Much of the common sense logic that Paul applied to the Modo plugin would also work great for Unity too. I know he is busy, but maybe he can consult.

Great feedback - and we can always bring more help if needed :)

Keep in the mind the Unity integration is very new and a lot is coming online in the next round of major updates around 3.07.

We are in fact working on a material override system in Unity exactly as described above.

The subdivision system is fully exposed for meshes loaded by Octane through the node editor in Unity (w/ 3.07 FBX will be an option alongside Alembic/OBJ), and we will be working on exposing similar flags for live Unity meshes (where it makes sense, e.g some mesh formats won't work well with subd; we fix that on load, but may be too taxing for real time procedural meshes being updated every frame w/ subd enabled).
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to Octane for Unity