Octane won't load in Unity2017 103 personal

Forums: Octane won't load in Unity2017 103 personal
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the Octane for Unity Alpha

Moderator: ChrisHekman

Re: Octane won't load in Unity2017 103 personal

Postby jakzun » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:40 pm

jakzun Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:40 pm
thank you.

this is where i'm at: i thought i could install this and just use any existing assets from the demos - but, the Courtyard and Forest freeze my machine

so, i can load my own very huge level and render but, it's not so hot and tweaking parameters is not getting me the advertised results

again, i can usually reverse-engineer a demo but, i can only open the emitter level and it looks like everything i imagined - how do i edit/add my level to this level?

i've been looking for demos/templates/materials and UNITY-SPECIFIC TUTORIALS but, there's not much i've found out there
jakzun

Postby jakzun » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:00 pm

jakzun Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:00 pm
okay. my assessment:

it's stunning in the videos but, it seems you have to become as skilled as they are to get those results

i'm a PRODUCER, not a texturist - i need to finished product for my time spent - this plugin demands i become expert in light physics, etc - i keep looking for prefabs/presets/demos so, i can benefit from the expertise of the people who made it

but, like most developers, they make you have to learn THEIR JOB to use their products - but, i have no intention on becoming expert at textures, i will pay anyone with a drag and drop, out-the-box solution, i need to finish the entire structure, not spend all day making bricks

so, i'm lost for the moment - i have no complaints about the greatness of your product but, it's not ready for Producers, only texture guys can get your results and i don't have time to evolve into that right now - i'd rather pay an expert for a solution

the unity tutorials talk about EVERYTHING but, how to make your render look like the promos - not one i've seen has rendered something photoreal, they just show functions but, no cinematic results - so, you follow the tut and still have no photorealism and you're left to look at all the videos of the people better at it than you and everyone referring you to videos that just do not get those results

i see developers spend too much time being technical - thus, showing how smart they are but, none of seem concerned about PRODUCERS, that don't care how clever they are, we just need to get the results in the video - not be forced to learn how you did it - very frustrating

we buy assets that do what we CAN'T do - to have an asset force you to become expert in it's area, just to use it is what gets lots of refunds - we need drag and drop, not a college-level course on how you do it

thank you
jakzun

Postby bepeg4d » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:26 am

bepeg4d Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:26 am
Hi jakzun,
OctaneRender is a photorealistic render engine, so the keys for a good rendering are almost the same as in real life photography. Mastering the lighting is probably the most important aspect. Back light, fill light, key light, reflecting panels, exposition, DOF, vignetting are concept that can be easily transfered and found in OctaneRender. In the Render Target node, you can interactively play with Camera Imager and Post Effect settings while the rendering is calculating, and instantly have a feedback of the effect.
But lighting is scene dependent, and mostly from the mood that you want to give to your scene.
Another chapter should be opened about materials, that can be greatly improved, with a bit of knowledge.
So, not properly easy to make the perfect Tutorial for you, if you can share a simple example scene, I can try to give some advices on a specific case, even if, it must to be said that my Unity skills are quite poor. I'm still watching video tutorials and learning.
ciao beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Previous

Return to Octane for Unity