Octane for Unity requires constant internet connection.

Forums: Octane for Unity requires constant internet connection.
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the Octane for Unity Alpha

Moderator: ChrisHekman

Octane for Unity requires constant internet connection.

Postby xCyborg » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:27 pm

xCyborg Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:27 pm
I work mostly offline so I can't stay connected all the time, why isn't the first license check sufficient upon loading Octane?
It just keeps unloading it's too frustrating, can't this be a one-time check only? I'm on Unity Personal anyways so why the persistent nagging?!
Please do something about it.
xCyborg

Re: Octane for Unity requires constant internet connection.

Postby Goldorak » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:47 pm

Goldorak Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:47 pm
You do need to be online when the free Octane viewport is activated - I don't think you need to be connected to continue to use it after that point, unless the engine is unloaded. Octane may be free in Unity, but it is not free independently of Unity Editor, so it has to be activated with your Unity ID when it's run. We have some ideas on how to mitigate this down the line- likely with a watermark if online activation fails, like we do with demo build of standalone. Feedback on this is welcome.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby monkeybrother » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:28 pm

monkeybrother Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:28 pm
I thought about this as well, while testing. An option to skip the license check/add watermark until you want to build an exe, or something like that (when that becomes an option), would be nice. Unity/octane crashes regularly in the alpha, so waiting for a license check every time gets old pretty quick, but hopefully it will just stop crashing in later version. There are many scenarios where you don't necessarily have internet access.
monkeybrother

Postby Goldorak » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:10 pm

Goldorak Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:10 pm
monkeybrother wrote:I thought about this as well, while testing. An option to skip the license check/add watermark until you want to build an exe, or something like that (when that becomes an option), would be nice. Unity/octane crashes regularly in the alpha, so waiting for a license check every time gets old pretty quick, but hopefully it will just stop crashing in later version. There are many scenarios where you don't necessarily have internet access.

Thanks for the feedback. I will talk to the team about what it might take to run with the watermark if activation fails. It seems like it is the simplest way of addressing the issue for now. If anyone has other thoughts, please feel free to share in this thread.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby xCyborg » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:03 pm

xCyborg Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:03 pm
I totally understand but the thing is I've already checked for a license online successfully but Octane automatically unloads itself after a certain time and attempts to perform ANOTHER license check.

That sounds almost like a bug and it gets really annoying when you suddenly lose your work to wait for another license check.

I think the best approach would be to decouple the loading mechanism from the license server so that you can implement your stripped back license-less version without obstruction (what's the point of unloading anyways?).

One-time license check would be nice too if you can figure out a way to restrict it to work with Unity alone.

Thanks for your awesome work.
xCyborg

Postby Xhed » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:30 am

Xhed Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:30 am
I totally understand but the thing is I've already checked for a license online successfully but Octane automatically unloads itself after a certain time and attempts to perform ANOTHER license check.

If there a certain time interval after which it unloads, or does it randomly decide to do an auth check?
- Rick
Xhed
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to Octane for Unity