Several questions

Forums: Several questions
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the Octane for Unity Alpha

Moderator: ChrisHekman

Several questions

Postby Pims » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:33 pm

Pims Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:33 pm
Hi,

after an afternoon playing with Octane in Unity, I have several questions and thoughts:

- I have area lights in my scene and they are visible in the render, any way to make them invisible? -> edit: this seems to happen behind a glass material that is set to specular, it is not happening behind a glossy material
- I guess you are planning on making a baking system similar to Enlighten (this is my most wanted feature, which would really make archviz VR experiences way nicer than Enlighten)?
- I was using Shader Forge shaders in my scene, any plans on supporting them? Or is it Joachim Holmér work to make them compatible with Octane?
- Is there a way to preview the materials on a sphere when creating them in the Octane VR window? -> edit: Found it! There is a button with an eye icon in the top right corner called "collapse/expand inline node preview"
- Do you have a node that is similar to the composite node in 3ds?
- Will we be able to have the Octane render run in the scene window?
- I noticed that rotating/changing the intensity of my cubemap hdri doesn't affect the Octane render
- Are the spot lights from Unity working properly? I had the felling that they wouldn't lit my scene properly.
- Any plans on supporting Speedtree shaders?

I know this is still an alpha product, and that you might have already a long to do list, but I thought it was worse asking all these questions as all these features would make Octane for Unity a must have in the future.
Also maybe I should start playing with Octane for 3ds to be able to answer some of these questions myself :)

Thanks!

Vincent
Pims
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Several questions

Postby Xhed » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:11 am

Xhed Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:11 am
I have area lights in my scene and they are visible in the render, any way to make them invisible? -> edit: this seems to happen behind a glass material that is set to specular, it is not happening behind a glossy material
Are you seeing the area light in the reflection on the glass object? We have a fix in place for the next build, which will provide you with more options for the area lights.

I guess you are planning on making a baking system similar to Enlighten (this is my most wanted feature, which would really make archviz VR experiences way nicer than Enlighten)?
Yes.

I was using Shader Forge shaders in my scene, any plans on supporting them? Or is it Joachim Holmér work to make them compatible with Octane?
There are no concrete plans yet as to which shaders other than Standard ans Standard Specular we want to support in the future.

Do you have a node that is similar to the composite node in 3ds?
No.

Will we be able to have the Octane render run in the scene window?
This is something we want to do at some point.

I noticed that rotating/changing the intensity of my cubemap hdri doesn't affect the Octane render
I have made a ticket of this in our bugtracker.

Are the spot lights from Unity working properly? I had the felling that they wouldn't lit my scene properly.
They should be. Could you provide me with a screenshot showing the differences you are seeing?

Any plans on supporting Speedtree shaders?
Same as the Shader Forge shaders, we have yet to decide which shaders to support going forward.
- Rick
Xhed
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to Octane for Unity