Octane for Unity - Installation Guide (rev. July 31st, 2017)

Forums: Octane for Unity - Installation Guide (rev. July 31st, 2017)
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the Octane for Unity Alpha

Moderator: ChrisHekman

Re: Octane for Unity - Installation Guide (rev. July 31st, 2017)

Postby Xhed » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:24 am

Xhed Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:24 am
supalette wrote:Hi,

I tested the Unity plugin for a bit on my secondary machine. When I tried to do more test on my primary machine it told me the license is in use and I had to release through website. But I haven't exactly owned an license yet. It's blank on my subscription page. How should I unlock the license in case?

Thanks!

Was Unity closed on your primary machine, and which Tier are you using?
- Rick
Xhed
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby pfschuyler » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:46 am

pfschuyler Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:46 am
Just wanted to say, I tried out Octane/Unity for the 1st time. I really enjoy this plugin, more so than the Sketchup plugin and standalone which I have. Using it in Unity really seems a natural implementation, with the PBR targets and how they work, it seems to flow well and is very predictable. A really outstanding plugin!

Only two questions. 1.) I have two good graphics cards but only one appears to be utilized. Is this a limitation of Octane's Unity version? 2.) I want to render out cubic panoramic images exactly like the old "render the metaverse" GearVR competition. Those settings used to be (camera panoramic:cube map, Stereo enabled: side-by-side, resolution 18432x1536). That full resolution does not seem to be allowed by Octane, it gives an error message saying the resolution is too high. In the resolution presets there is an option listed under Virtual Reality>Gear VR (CUBE MAP), which has a resolution of 9216x1536 (six 1536x1536 images I guess vs the old 12 stereo pairs?). Using this option with Stereo side-by-side produces 12 stretched tiles. What group of settings can produce the same Gear VR cubemaps, or is there something I'm missing?
pfschuyler
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Xhed » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:42 am

Xhed Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:42 am
pfschuyler wrote:1.) I have two good graphics cards but only one appears to be utilized. Is this a limitation of Octane's Unity version?

For the (free) T1, we limit the usage to a single GPU. If you have a higher Tier, you can activate additional GPUs in the Octane settings window.

pfschuyler wrote:2.) I want to render out cubic panoramic images exactly like the old "render the metaverse" GearVR competition. Those settings used to be (camera panoramic:cube map, Stereo enabled: side-by-side, resolution 18432x1536). That full resolution does not seem to be allowed by Octane, it gives an error message saying the resolution is too high. In the resolution presets there is an option listed under Virtual Reality>Gear VR (CUBE MAP), which has a resolution of 9216x1536 (six 1536x1536 images I guess vs the old 12 stereo pairs?). Using this option with Stereo side-by-side produces 12 stretched tiles. What group of settings can produce the same Gear VR cubemaps, or is there something I'm missing?

Unity's max texture size is 16384 pixels, which isn't enough for a Gear VR stereo cubemap (which requires 18432 pixels). You can create a 9216x3072 texture, and set the stereo ouput to Over-under. This will fit in a Unity texture. It will be quite an impact on performance for now, until we can figure out how to hide the latency of copying the Octane render result to the Unity window.
I'm not sure how to get an over-under cubemap to work with our ORBX viewer for the Gear VR, but I'll check with the team that works on it.
- Rick
Xhed
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby pfschuyler » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:32 pm

pfschuyler Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:32 pm
Interesting, thanks. The renders are excellent.

Also, is texture/light baking working correctly in the current iteration? I've tried baking to camera and can't seem to get the results I would expect. This may be ignorance on my part, and if it is fully functional, are there any resources out there about texture baking using the Unity/Octane plugin?
pfschuyler
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby EFS » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:06 pm

EFS Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:06 pm
Xhed wrote:
pfschuyler wrote:For the (free) T1, we limit the usage to a single GPU. If you have a higher Tier, you can activate additional GPUs in the Octane settings window.

This may be silly, but where do I go to upgrade my Tier and see pricing? You should really put this somewhere really really obvious ... coming to the forums to ask was almost the difference between my spur of the moment going "heh, I'll give this a try" and "just not worth the trouble for now" ... not everyone on the fence is going to dig :).
EFS
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:01 pm

Goldorak Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:01 pm
EFS wrote:
Xhed wrote:
pfschuyler wrote:For the (free) T1, we limit the usage to a single GPU. If you have a higher Tier, you can activate additional GPUs in the Octane settings window.

This may be silly, but where do I go to upgrade my Tier and see pricing? You should really put this somewhere really really obvious ... coming to the forums to ask was almost the difference between my spur of the moment going "heh, I'll give this a try" and "just not worth the trouble for now" ... not everyone on the fence is going to dig :).

For the first month, we just want to get the free tier out to all users, and let anyone who buys OctaneVR get the paid tier (that works since launch). Unity will be providing a front end for the upgrade tiers to make it simple to upgrade right within Unity, which I think will cover this definitively.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby EFS » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:19 pm

EFS Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:19 pm
Goldorak wrote:For the first month, we just want to get the free tier out to all users, and let anyone who buys OctaneVR get the paid tier (that works since launch). Unity will be providing a front end for the upgrade tiers to make it simple to upgrade right within Unity, which I think will cover this definitively.

We own Octane Standalone and 3ds max. I assume that is not what we are talking about here. How do I purchase OctaneVR? Is this a subscription or a license? I only see this under subscriptions (unless I'm blind right now), and nothing for Unity. Furthermore, I have 3 video cards ... I'm looking to use all three. What exactly do I have to purchase in order to unlock this now?

Thanks.
EFS
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:26 pm

Goldorak Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:26 pm
EFS wrote:
Goldorak wrote:For the first month, we just want to get the free tier out to all users, and let anyone who buys OctaneVR get the paid tier (that works since launch). Unity will be providing a front end for the upgrade tiers to make it simple to upgrade right within Unity, which I think will cover this definitively.

We own Octane Standalone and 3ds max. I assume that is not what we are talking about here. How do I purchase OctaneVR? Is this a subscription or a license? I only see this under subscriptions (unless I'm blind right now), and nothing for Unity. Furthermore, I have 3 video cards ... I'm looking to use all three. What exactly do I have to purchase in order to unlock this now?

Thanks.

There will be pro subscription for beyond OctaneVR that gives you up to 20 GPUs and all plug-ins, but this isn't out yet. If you already own Octane licences, we will figure out a side path (like we did for ORC), but hasn't been locked down yet.

One thing we cando shortly is add ORBX exporting in the base version so you can send rendering work to your existing standalone licences, which is going to be ideal for baking in parallel to real time PBR viewport. This is being developed further inside Octane 3.07 through new render job nodes (like render to texture, render to displacement etc.) that can feed render output data back into Octane scene graph.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby EFS » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:01 pm

EFS Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:01 pm
Goldorak wrote:
EFS wrote:There will be pro subscription for beyond OctaneVR that gives you up to 20 GPUs and all plug-ins, but this isn't out yet. If you already own Octane licences, we will figure out a side path (like we did for ORC), but hasn't been locked down yet.

One thing we cando shortly is add ORBX exporting in the base version so you can send rendering work to your existing standalone licences, which is going to be ideal for baking in parallel to real time PBR viewport. This is being developed further inside Octane 3.07 through new render job nodes (like render to texture, render to displacement etc.) that can feed render output data back into Octane scene graph.

Sure ... if its transparent to the user, then whatever solution speeds this up would be great. I literally bought a gtx 1080 for Unity Octane and now I can't use it! :(
EFS
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby pfschuyler » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:42 am

pfschuyler Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:42 am
Yeah, forgive me for saying so but this "free tier" concept is a strategic screw up. J. Urbach is famous among Unity users for showing everyone Octane and promising it as "free to all Unity users in 2017." I don't think the typical Unity user was thinking "Yeah, Free but with major caveats." You don't really lose much $$$ cutting loose those restrictions and only charging for advanced use, etc. Cut loose restrictions of one GPU on one machine. If Octane was totally free and unrestricted, and everyone was loving the hell out of it, rendering like mad, that's just a user base you're growing. You're putting the competition in the rear view mirror. And earning the loyalty, expertise and advice of all Unity users who are sure to render ORBX files natively, and invest heavily in all the proposed upcoming features, (and many of us already have other paid Octane license). Sorry for my two cents but you guys should heavily reconsider this policy. It was a major coup to announce it as integrated free into Unity, now follow through without compromises. From the standpoint of those experimental Unity users, Octane is a curiosity that could become a bread and butter staple of their future. Don't hamper it before its even started.
pfschuyler
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Octane for Unity