PBR Recorder fails to name and record frame sequences

Forums: PBR Recorder fails to name and record frame sequences
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the Octane for Unity Alpha

Moderator: ChrisHekman

PBR Recorder fails to name and record frame sequences

Postby jalley » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:03 pm

jalley Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:03 pm
Dear all,

Posting again after some silence ...

After recent Unity (2018.2.12f1 + some other previous ones) and Octane (1.1.1.1341) updates, we have noticed some unexpected behavior. Simple rendering of a single frame works in a simple project but when trying to record a sequence using Octane's PBR Recorder it produces the following behavior:

1) Octane PBR Recorder fails to use the <0000> suffix tag indicating the frame number. It basically overrides the same file again and again without using any frame number at all (even the first one '0000') ...

2) Unity crashes with a window error saying there is no fix found for such bug/error ...
2.b) Sometimes some messages appearing in the Unity log (please, read at the bottom of this post):

Do you think you can handle this bug soon? We believe it is critical, as this used to work in previous versions. We have tried to go back to previous Octane versions but the problem persisted (maybe a combination of Unity and Octane, we are using latest 2018's Unity).

Please, let us know if you want us to try something for you.

Many thanks,
jalley

>>> Unity log, repeated 'n' times:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
OctaneUnity.RecorderORBXFileNameGenerator.BuildFileName (OctaneUnity.RecorderComponent recorder, System.String pattern)
OctaneUnity.RecorderComponent.UpdateRecording ()
OctaneUnity.RecorderComponent.LateUpdate ()
jalley
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: PBR Recorder fails to name and record frame sequences

Postby jalley » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:22 pm

jalley Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:22 pm
Dear all,

FYI, while we still have this problem with the official PBR Recorder, we managed to find a work around solution based on our own automated script to save frame sequences. However, we discovered another problem on the way related with Octane and what seems to be a memory leak problem.

Thanks,
jalley
jalley
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Xhed » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:49 am

Xhed Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:49 am
jalley wrote:1) Octane PBR Recorder fails to use the <0000> suffix tag indicating the frame number. It basically overrides the same file again and again without using any frame number at all (even the first one '0000') ...

2) Unity crashes with a window error saying there is no fix found for such bug/error ...
2.b) Sometimes some messages appearing in the Unity log

I have found the issue, they were both symptoms of the same error. A patch build with a fix will be released soon.

jalley wrote:FYI, while we still have this problem with the official PBR Recorder, we managed to find a work around solution based on our own automated script to save frame sequences. However, we discovered another problem on the way related with Octane and what seems to be a memory leak problem.

I haven't had a chance to check this yet, I'll look into it.
- Rick
Xhed
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby bwatanabe » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:24 am

bwatanabe Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:24 am
Hello,

I'm having the same issue. Individual frames render fine, but when I attempt to render an animation via Timeline or Recorder I get this error:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
OctaneUnity.RecorderComponent.RecordImageFrame ()
OctaneUnity.RecorderComponent.UpdateRecording ()
OctaneUnity.RecorderComponent.LateUpdate ()

Has anyone solved this problem, or is there a workaround?
I see this issue was posted 4 months ago, hoping that otoy has a fix available?

Thanks.
bwatanabe

Return to Octane for Unity