octane missed the chance to be competitive towards cyclesX

Forums: octane missed the chance to be competitive towards cyclesX
Sub forum for off topic discussion

octane missed the chance to be competitive towards cyclesX

Postby acc24ex » Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:32 pm

acc24ex Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:32 pm
..so I've been using octane since 1 beta, and been in the 3dmax beta test, in the meanwhile switched to blender in the past year or so..
So I'd call myself a proficcinet octane user, and I know my way around it well.. anyway - cyclesX is here, and it finally works very close to octane..
I don't really see a reason to work on octane, maybe osl in gpu mode and displacement - octane had a good year to get octane for blender very usable and compatible, most of suggestions were missed out, like make a great material converter..
Did you make it so when you press render and viewport is in render mode it renders, instead of saying to quit render mode (I had a FB buddy make a script in an hour to fix that)..

In any case, after hard 11 years in octane, I'm probably done, maybe if I get another 3dsmax project and I have to pull old projects, since, that's still the best option for me in max.. but in blender - you'd have to do something truly incredible to make me even install it back for now ..
I used it on blender in two projects, because I was more proficient with some materials, that I wasn't in cycles, and yeah, it was probably 2x faster - did for an actualy commercial project.. but now, I'm looking back, and cyclesX is where octane should have been in blender.. like I said, the chance was here for the past year, but I see people slowly dropping off the blender octane boat, same with 3dsmax, I guess c4d and beeple is to be thanked for most of your users now.. I guess

Anyway, off topic

Used to check octane forum every few days for updates, but yeah.. idk, how are the rest of you feeling, is there something significant I'm missing with octane blender in the past year?

I don't want to disrespect the team, it's probably lack of people to work on it..
[size=85]3dmax, zbrush, UE
//Behance profile //BOONAR
//Octane render toolbox 3dsmax
acc24ex
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: octane missed the chance to be competitive towards cyclesX

Postby efforce » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:28 pm

efforce Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:28 pm
3Ds max user here, been with Octane for a few years

- Anime/PPM kernel promised for many years, still didn't think we will see it coming in the near future. Mind you it was constantly brought up in the GDC talk for the hype
- There was a time Brigade could be game changer - but when you look at Chaos Vantage and what it can do today, I have to say Brigade really needs to deliver more than that to beat it. By the way when could we expect to see that?
efforce
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby acc24ex » Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:35 pm

acc24ex Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:35 pm
OMG.. brigade - it's been in the works for 10 years probably now..
acc24ex
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby linograndiotoy » Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:46 am

linograndiotoy Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:46 am
Octane for Blender is totally competitive with Cycles X imo, if not better under many aspects.
I'm personally very happy about the latest Octane for Blender release, and the same feeling is shared by most users.
The material converter can only work for very basic setups, since Cycles's and Octane's nodes are quite different.
Using a render or another is a choice, with pros and cons.
By the way, I'd like to understand better what do you mean by "cyclesX is where octane should have been in blender" (if you're referring to performances and features, and which ones).
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby acc24ex » Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:55 pm

acc24ex Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:55 pm
I actually would prefer octane to cyclesX.. so I was refering to that, if octane did a perfect implementation into blender and made it compatible to cycles and eeve - so you could seamlesly switch between materials, that would be it for me - I'd use it daily..
It just has/had lousy UX inside blender - I loved UX on octane standalone.. but in blender it missed so many points - and I mean I get it, you need a lot of man power to do it properly..

And now I'm using octane on my old projects in max 2017 :) .. got an increadible offer and a company is buying off usage right to an older project.. OMG.. in any case I am now reevaluting my octane decisions - I have (accidentally) purchased box licence to octane 2020, and at least got that without subscribing, and I'm a bit disapointed by not seeing ground breaking features so, no need to upgrade, and yeah if I did, I'd rather have a box licence that doesn't expire..

One thing I bloody hated with octane - (it's like) no one uses it, and all exports to other aplications is a pain.. so in blender, I'm gonna stick to cycles mainly because of this coompatibility - like I said, if octane's user experience in blender would be seamless in usability like it does with eeve, that would be a massive upgrade - in a manner where I wouldn't have to care about standard exports and other standards..

And the point is blender can do that natively, it already has an option to choose which material output you want to use, so you can choose completely different setups for eeve or cycles, and I discovered that it also did that with octane, so if octane worked alongside cycles and eeve, the experience would be seamless - I could set up a material for each renderer and I could do cycles, eeve or octane in a single project. I mean from my perspective that seems simple - not sure how complex would it be to make, but yeah, for starters, if it supported seamless transition from octane to cycles it would be an awesome feature - and other than that, of course, a really great material converter.. 3dsmax octane plugin did an awesome on the fly converter from vray to octane, and I was amazed - now I want that, but for cycles..

I do have to admit I do miss working in octane, I got used to how it works so much, I know how to work 95% of it .. the displacement is awesome (didn't check if something changed lately), and I love the fact you pull them out of a single poly.. even tho in close ups I can see those voxels..
etc.. octane is pretty much great, and I would love to see it seamlessly integrated into blender and support better exports to standard materials so it can be used by non octane users as well.. I know it can't be perfect, but good approximation would be great, like it does with vray to octane / max converter, for instance ..

did something significantly improve in blender/octane in the past year?
acc24ex
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby linograndiotoy » Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:32 pm

linograndiotoy Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:32 pm
I just noticed now I answered a one year old post! :D
Oh yes, Octane for Blender has widely improved for sure!
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to Off Topic