Preview and Rendering with one license

Forums: Preview and Rendering with one license
Sub forum for feature requests etc

Preview and Rendering with one license

Postby AndreasResch » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:12 am

AndreasResch Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:12 am
Hey. I have a question/wish.

I have two machines. One is my main PC that I use for all my daily stuff (3D, illustrating, burocracy etc.) and a secondary PC that is just there for rendering to take the load off of my main PC. So how I used to work so far was, that I modelled and set my scenes up on my main PC and once I'm done, I started the rendering on my secondary PC. While the rendering is being done, I was able to work on other 3D stuff on my main PC.

With Octane, this worflow is broken now. As I can only have one license running at a time, I can either render or create 3D stuff, but not do both at the same time. Of course I could do the modelling without being connected to the Octane Server but that's a bit of a problem. Unfortunately Octane cannot display all textures and materials in the Material View and I always have to qucikly switch to the Render Preview to see if everything is in order. Without this, it's impossible to do UV or texture related work in Octane confidently. Buying an extra license just to do the basic work is a bit too much for me.

So here is my wish. I'd like to have a solution where I can render and use the Render Preview at the same time. Techincally it should be possible to have one Server in full render mode and the second Server in a "Limited" mode where only preview requests are accepted. Of course that would mean an adjustment in the Server software and maybe even the server itself, but I'm sure I'm not the only user who woul greatly appreciated this extra benefit for the subscription option. There are a lot of other softwares out there who allow a secondary machines as well, sometimes for network rendering issues and sometimes for cases just like this one.

Cheers,
Andreas
AndreasResch
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Preview and Rendering with one license

Postby AndreasResch » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:52 am

AndreasResch Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:52 am
Hey.

No feedback on this one? There are other threads in this category as well with 0 replies. At least a little sign of acknowledgement would be nice.

Cheers,
Andreas
AndreasResch
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby J.C » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:09 pm

J.C Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:09 pm
You'll have to wait for v4 official launch. Standalone app and some plugins will be free (probably Blender plugin).
CPU – i9 13900KF, 128GB RAM, GPU – RTX 4090
System – Windows 11
My Behance portfolio, Blender plugin FB support group
J.C
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby aufwind » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:48 am

aufwind Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:48 am
you may try to install the demo version on the other Computer.
To my knowledge there's only a render size limit restriction.

https://home.otoy.com/render/octane-render/demo/
Win7 | Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3 | I7 3770K | 2x Titan (Kepler) | 1x Titan X (Pascal)
aufwind
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby AndreasResch » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:24 pm

AndreasResch Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:24 pm
The demo solution would be the last resort. But for now there's no demo of V4 which is the main version that I use now. Besides that, this would mean that I need to install another program just for this simple purpose. Why not grant this little extra feature to paying users. Without preview it's hard to create scenes and check materials.
AndreasResch
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to User Requests