Clean Up Octane Output Panel UI and Fix Some Issues

Forums: Clean Up Octane Output Panel UI and Fix Some Issues
Sub forum for feature requests etc

Clean Up Octane Output Panel UI and Fix Some Issues

Postby AlexeyAdamitsky » Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:58 pm

AlexeyAdamitsky Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:58 pm
Octane is a very powerful tool for quality and fast rendering. It works really well in Blender. Unfortunately, it lacks polish in some areas that can help it to feel like a default Blender renderer. These smaller things we can improve but they add to the day-to-day enjoyment when working with Octane in Blender.

I hope you can use my ideas how you can improve the user experience in Octane for Blender.

WHAT IS THE ISSUES?

The Octane integration is not following Blender UI design which makes it look "foreign" to Blender. More than that it looses readability which makes it harder to navigate Octane's settings.

1. Most of the names are cut off and you need to stretch your panel really far to see all the names. New users might feel frustrated. Until you're familiar more familiar with Octane renderer.
2. Items are not aligned properly as current Blender design dictates. It creates visual chaos and worsen the readability and fast navigation.

3. Disabled panels should be dimmed. Not following this design breaks consistency how user interacts withing Blender and might cause confusion or mistakes. At a glance it might be harder to understand if the panel/parameter turned on (active) or off (inactive).
4. Excessive words duplication in settings items without adding more meaning.

HOW CAN WE IMPROVE THE PANEL?

1. The first obvious thing to do is to follow Blender UI guidelines and text formatting to make Octane feel like an integral part.
2. The next obvious thing is to remove Octane word from first 3 elements. We are already in the Octane Output panel. Repeating it with other settings items doesn't add any more meaning but we can definitely save on space and improve readability.
3. We don't need to repeat "Export" twice in the export menu element. It's much easier on the yeas and reads better like a complete sentence. Not "Export", "Export Separate Image Files" but "Export","Separate Image Files". It has a better flow to it.
4. Reducing further redundancy. Removing "EXR" from "EXR Compression" since it only appear when we choose EXR file type. And Removing "OCIO" from the "OCIO Look". The user will only be presented with Look once it selects an option in the Color Settings that supports it.

Pretty much all the changes pursue the same simple goals: unify UI with Blender and reduce complexity for better user experience.

I hope to see these those changes come to Octane for Blender integration rather sooner than later.

AlexeyAdamitsky
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Clean Up Octane Output Panel UI and Fix Some Issues

Postby lizi45444966 » Sat May 21, 2022 3:20 am

lizi45444966 Sat May 21, 2022 3:20 am
Dude, you are right and have very professional advice, but I'm sad that they don't care about these issues at all, to be honest, those of us who use blender are a minority after all :cry:
lizi45444966
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Clean Up Octane Output Panel UI and Fix Some Issues

Postby kabakZ » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:32 am

kabakZ Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:32 am
Sad to say, but it's true. I would highly recommend contacting them on Facebook or directly to Lino Grandi instead, since he is responsible for the Blender version addon.
kabakZ
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to User Requests