Shading errors (W/ Universal Shader) in 17.5 [TEST]

Forums: Shading errors (W/ Universal Shader) in 17.5 [TEST]
Sub forum for bug reports
Forum rules
Before posting a bug report, please check the following:
1. That the issue has not already been disclosed
2. That the issue is specific to this plugin, and not Octane in general (Try reproducing it in Standalone)
Bugs related to the Octane Engine itself should be posted into the Standalone Support sub-forum.

All bug reports should include the information below, along with a detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce it.
A. Operating System, including version (i.e. Win 7, OSX 10.11.2, Ubuntu 14.04, etc.)
B. Graphics Card(s) model (i.e. GTX 580 - 3GB, TITAN, etc.)
C. RAM Capacity (i.e. 6 GB)
D. Nvidia driver version (i.e. 7.50, 7.5.22)
E. OctaneRender Standalone version, if installed (i.e. 2.24.2, 2.23, etc.)
F. OctaneRender plugin version (i.e. v2.25 - 2.21)
G. Host application version, including build number if available (i.e. 3ds Max 2016 Build 18.0)

Shading errors (W/ Universal Shader) in 17.5 [TEST]

Postby ChrisH » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:20 pm

ChrisH Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:20 pm
Hi!

Downloaded and installed 17.5 today, but discovered a problem when rendering my "scene" (it's not finished and only a clay shader so far), where black areas appeared on the model (similar to what might appear if you have overlapping meshes).
This doesn't appear in the Stable version (v16.3.3), neither did it in the previous Test version (17.4).

I isolated just the main mesh (so there's just 1 object + camera in the active layers, made sure there was no overlapping geometry etc.
OctProblem.png

As I'm writing this I did some more tests, creating a new mesh etc, and:
It appears to only happen on faces in the Y-axis (rotating it slightly and it goes away), and only with the Universal Shader (If I switch to Diffuse the black areas disappear).
OctProblem.png

So it might be a Octane problem (rather than OcatneBlender)!? But I don't know where to report that!

(*Using the Test builds to speed up animation rendering..)
Windows 10 Pro - AMD Ryzen 7 2100X 8 core 3.70GHz - 32GB RAM - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
Octane Prime - Blender Plugin user

Metal IOR values for Octane (with .blend library): https://chris.hindefjord.se/resources/rgb-ior-metals/
ChrisH
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Shading errors (W/ Universal Shader) in 17.5 [TEST]

Postby ChrisH » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:55 pm

ChrisH Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:55 pm
I created a new file to see if I could recreate the problem, which I couldn't, at first!

My new mesh didn't show the same problems, I tried to copy each setting to see what might trigger it, but nothing.
I imported the objects from the other scene, gave them all the same materials but the new object didn't show the same problem (while the old ones did).

Then I UV-unwrapped the new object, and: there it was (just not as prominent, but also not in a single direction), the new object exhibited the same problems!
Then I changed the UV mapping of the other objects, and the black faces shifted!
Oct5.png

NB: There's only an Universal material, no other nodes or textures!

I attached my test file!
Attachments
OctaneTest1.blend
(5.34 MiB) Downloaded 133 times
Windows 10 Pro - AMD Ryzen 7 2100X 8 core 3.70GHz - 32GB RAM - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
Octane Prime - Blender Plugin user

Metal IOR values for Octane (with .blend library): https://chris.hindefjord.se/resources/rgb-ior-metals/
ChrisH
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Shading errors (W/ Universal Shader) in 17.5 [TEST]

Postby J.C » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:27 pm

J.C Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:27 pm
Looks like an engine bug. In latest standalone RC6 it it sthe same.
CPU – i9 13900KF, 128GB RAM, GPU – RTX 4090
System – Windows 11
My Behance portfolio, Blender plugin FB support group
J.C
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Bug Reports