Additional Octane Panel Functionality--Ongoing List

Forums: Additional Octane Panel Functionality--Ongoing List
Sub forum for feature requests etc

Moderator: JimStar

Additional Octane Panel Functionality--Ongoing List

Postby itsallgoode9 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:36 am

itsallgoode9 Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:36 am
So far this window has been an awesome addition and really helps speed up workflow in Maya! The more I'm using it the more I'm finding potential uses for it. I have a couple new feature ideas as I'm using it and will continue to add onto this list to keep thing consolidated in one spot.

Render Passes--Active Passes
In the Passes dropdown, can we get a dropdown under each render pass that only lists whichever passes you have enabled, letting us switch between passes via that new octane panel?

That would be much much faster than scrolling through a list of, like, 50 passes just to cycle between a couple of them. Currently I have setup shelf buttons do that exact thing for my commonly used passes and this would effectively be an automatic way of doing that. This is particularly useful when rendering at very high resolution because maya is so incredibly unresponsive. There is very little time to open the dropdown and find the pass you need to switch to in IP R between render updates.
Last edited by itsallgoode9 on Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intel i7-3930K, 64gb RAM, Asus X79 Deluxe mobo, 2x EVGA 780 6gb (for rendering), 1x PNY quaddro k4000 (for display)
Windows 8.1 x64, Maya 2014, Octane Render v2
itsallgoode9
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Additional Octane Panel Functionality

Postby itsallgoode9 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:29 am

itsallgoode9 Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:29 am
Ability to "Pin", Reorder and "Always Expanded" "collapse all" "expand all"
I think these are self explanatory. I just think some additional organizational abilities would be really useful for workflow efficiency and speed.
Intel i7-3930K, 64gb RAM, Asus X79 Deluxe mobo, 2x EVGA 780 6gb (for rendering), 1x PNY quaddro k4000 (for display)
itsallgoode9
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Additional Octane Panel Functionality--Ongoing List

Postby itsallgoode9 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:19 pm

itsallgoode9 Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:19 pm
Right Click Options
On most things (passes, layers environment, etc) it would be nice to be able to turn things on and off with a right click dropdown. As well, it would be nice be able to switch through, for example, previously created kernels or or render layers with right click.

On Render Passes, it would be nice to be able to right click and see a full list of preview passes that you could switch to from that list.

I'm sure there's plenty of opportunity for added efficiency through right click menus in the Octane Panel
itsallgoode9
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BK » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:05 pm

BK Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:05 pm
itsallgoode9 wrote:Right Click Options
On most things (passes, layers environment, etc) it would be nice to be able to turn things on and off with a right click dropdown. As well, it would be nice be able to switch through, for example, previously created kernels or or render layers with right click.

On Render Passes, it would be nice to be able to right click and see a full list of preview passes that you could switch to from that list.

I'm sure there's plenty of opportunity for added efficiency through right click menus in the Octane Panel

Hi Itsallgoode9,

Thank you so much for these additional functionality ideas. Sound great!!
We will discuss with Jim and see which function we can add in the later releases.

Cheers :)
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby itsallgoode9 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:31 pm

itsallgoode9 Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:31 pm
Awesome. So far, with the somewhat limited functionality, I've already found it helps working efficiency quite a bit by cutting down clicks and window switches, as it's keeping me out of the render globals and hypershade window as much. As well, this is helped massively with working on a single monitor (with covid shutdowns and logging remotely into my work computer, this has helped a ton already).
itsallgoode9
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BK » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:34 am

BK Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:34 am
itsallgoode9 wrote:Right Click Options

Hi Itsallgoode9,

This feature seems to be already there. We can Left-Mouse double click to enable/disable any Octane node from the OctanePanel.
Please give a go and let us know if that works!

Cheers
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby itsallgoode9 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:47 pm

itsallgoode9 Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:47 pm
eh, it sorta works. it allows you to switch between different versions you've made. It doesn't let you just completely turn off things. Which this seems perfectly fine when you're working on more involved scenes on decent timelines where it makes sense to spend time upfront creating multiple render layers or render targets or whatever. But doing that for something like a product render on a couple day timeline, it's more time than it's worth to do the extra upfront work.

For example, I only have one render layer setup in a scene. I can't turn that off directly from the octane panel--I still have to do that in the attribute editor or render globals, I can only switch between different render layers. Ideally you could completely disable from the octane panel (extra ideally, not even have to go into the drop down to disable/enable--you'd be able to right click on "Render Layers" to disable/enable whichever one is active).

Don't get me wrong, it's great being able to switch between the different options in the octane panel! But that's only helpful when you have setup different options and not all projects warrant the extra time to do that.
itsallgoode9
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BK » Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:47 am

BK Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:47 am
itsallgoode9 wrote:eh, it sorta works. it allows you to switch between different versions you've made. It doesn't let you just completely turn off things. Which this seems perfectly fine when you're working on more involved scenes on decent timelines where it makes sense to spend time upfront creating multiple render layers or render targets or whatever. But doing that for something like a product render on a couple day timeline, it's more time than it's worth to do the extra upfront work.

For example, I only have one render layer setup in a scene. I can't turn that off directly from the octane panel--I still have to do that in the attribute editor or render globals, I can only switch between different render layers. Ideally you could completely disable from the octane panel (extra ideally, not even have to go into the drop down to disable/enable--you'd be able to right click on "Render Layers" to disable/enable whichever one is active).

Don't get me wrong, it's great being able to switch between the different options in the octane panel! But that's only helpful when you have setup different options and not all projects warrant the extra time to do that.

Hi Itsallgoode9,

Thanks, heaps for the additional feedback. Yep, totally agree with you.
We will create an internal ticket to implement this feature in the upcoming releases.

cheers :)
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to User Requests