Spectron and Vectron In Maya

Forums: Spectron and Vectron In Maya
Sub forum for feature requests etc

Moderator: JimStar

Spectron and Vectron In Maya

Postby hgarrou » Tue May 14, 2019 3:00 pm

hgarrou Tue May 14, 2019 3:00 pm
Know first, that I love Octane and OTOY and this post does not constitute any trolling or negativity, whatsoever. I'm actually using Octane daily around the clock and these few questions have accumulated over the Past 3 months. <end caveat>

1. Why is there no ability to implement spectron or vectron from within Maya? Modo users can access vectron, but still no spectron. Will this be the same with the new infinite plane feature, etc....

2. In our workflow with octane, are we expected to use orbx exports to Octane standalone to access the full-featured Octane, and just use Maya Plugin for preview only?

3. Outside of the discussion forums, why Is Octane 2018 absent from the OTOY website?

4. Finally, when and where are the manual/Docs for Octane Maya 2018 Plugin, or for Octane 2018 Standalone?

Thanks in advance for your help and clarification.
hgarrou
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Spectron and Vectron In Maya

Postby Goldorak » Tue May 14, 2019 8:18 pm

Goldorak Tue May 14, 2019 8:18 pm
hgarrou wrote:Know first, that I love Octane and OTOY and this post does not constitute any trolling or negativity, whatsoever. I'm actually using Octane daily around the clock and these few questions have accumulated over the Past 3 months. <end caveat>

1. Why is there no ability to implement spectron or vectron from within Maya? Modo users can access vectron, but still no spectron. Will this be the same with the new infinite plane feature, etc....

2. In our workflow with octane, are we expected to use orbx exports to Octane standalone to access the full-featured Octane, and just use Maya Plugin for preview only?

3. Outside of the discussion forums, why Is Octane 2018 absent from the OTOY website?

4. Finally, when and where are the manual/Docs for Octane Maya 2018 Plugin, or for Octane 2018 Standalone?

Thanks in advance for your help and clarification.

1) Spectron is still a WIP in 2018.1 core, but will be fully enabled by 2019.2 which is when we recommend all the plug-ins fully support it a the latest since it will be considered finalized by then. Vectron is much more mature and should be exposed in Maya as it is in other DCC integrations. I will have to follow up on why it isn't

2) No. If a core feature is not enabled the Maya plug-in, we should fix it. There are many advantages to standalone (speed, memory footprint), but getting at missing features shouldn't be one of them.

3) We felt it was best to wait until 2019 was out before refreshing the website, to give us more time to fully deprecate V4 from the shop page. Obviously all new features added in 2018.1 are also in Octane 2019.x so we will include all of them when we do the update.

4) We plan to have all documentation up to date by the 2019.2 release (2019.2 XB1 will be out soon after 2019.1 RC1).
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby hgarrou » Wed May 15, 2019 11:09 am

hgarrou Wed May 15, 2019 11:09 am
You're the best, Jim. Thanks.
hgarrou
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby calus » Wed May 15, 2019 12:01 pm

calus Wed May 15, 2019 12:01 pm
hgarrou wrote:You're the best, Jim. Thanks.

Goldorak who answered you is not JimStar ... :D
Pascal ANDRE
calus
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby hgarrou » Mon May 20, 2019 4:12 pm

hgarrou Mon May 20, 2019 4:12 pm
Thanks to Goldorak, he or she is the second best.
hgarrou
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby hgarrou » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:19 pm

hgarrou Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:19 pm
We're pretty well past 2019.2 at this point and yet there's still no implementation at the maya plug-in level of these functions. Do you have any idea of the road map from here? Proxy node works ok for spectron. Vectron at the plug-in level is lacking the ability to set any parameters. Infinite ground plane is also not available.

I feel like the best course of action is to use these functions inside standalone after I export an Orbx of all the other elements in the scene.

Thanks again for all your hard work. I'm just in search of some idea of timelime.
hgarrou
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to User Requests