V4 imagur and Post Process Access

Forums: V4 imagur and Post Process Access
Sub forum for feature requests etc

Moderator: JimStar

V4 imagur and Post Process Access

Postby itsallgoode9 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:10 pm

itsallgoode9 Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:10 pm
One annoyance (and ui inefficiency) i'm finding in V4 is not having access to the imagur or post process through the camera node and always having to go through the render globals to access these. I argue that both of those functions are adjustments relating to the camera, thus are all adjustments you'll be tweaking in tandem. It would be nice to have the option to access these through your camera (just a button, like is in the render globals would work fine, i'd say). Probably seems like a minor thing but it really creates a lot of extra clicks and mouse travel, when it could all be done from the camera panel in the hypershade.

Current workflow:
1. adjusting things in camera, via hypershade
2. deciding I want to tweak post process
3. Open render globals
4. press post process button
5. back to hypershade to adjust post proces
6. decide I want to adjust imagur settings
7. reopen render globals
8. press imagur button
9. back to hypershade to adjust

Proposed Workflow
1. adjusting things in camera, via hypershade
2. deciding I want to tweak post process
3. Press post process button in camera
4. adjust post process
5. decide I want to adjust imagur settings
5. press imagur button in camera
6. adjust imgur settings
Intel i7-3930K, 64gb RAM, Asus X79 Deluxe mobo, 2x EVGA 780 6gb (for rendering), 1x PNY quaddro k4000 (for display)
Windows 8.1 x64, Maya 2014, Octane Render v2
itsallgoode9
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: V4 imagur and Post Process Access

Postby calus » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:30 pm

calus Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:30 pm
Both worflow are possible in the new plugin because you can also override global render setting nodes per camera.
In the attribute editor of the camera, in the Octane section you can find a subsection : render setting override
here you can connect another imager / postprocess / environment .... , and access it later trough the same way to adjust it.
Last edited by calus on Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pascal ANDRE
calus
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby itsallgoode9 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:35 pm

itsallgoode9 Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:35 pm
Ah! Thanks calus, I’ll give it a look. Still figuring out workflow adjustments in V4 :?
Intel i7-3930K, 64gb RAM, Asus X79 Deluxe mobo, 2x EVGA 780 6gb (for rendering), 1x PNY quaddro k4000 (for display)
itsallgoode9
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby itsallgoode9 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:39 pm

itsallgoode9 Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:39 pm
Hey Calus, I looked at that and it's not exactly what I want to do.

Basically, think it'd be useful to be able access all of the currently selected global post process and imager settings from the camera, like you used to be able to, since all of those settings are very much related. And do so without manually connecting a bunch of nodes.

Say I initially setup all the imager, post processing etc, settings through render globals--to setup all those nodes, connected to the camera, so that I could more easily access the settings, is more trouble than annoyingly going through the render globals every time I want to change a setting. Also, if I have multiple cameras, I'd need to do this to every camera, which would be a nightmare. Not to mention that if you have multiple render settings created in render globals, you aren't able to swap through those since the camera is linked to specific render settings, right?

Maybe it's just me getting used to this new system but, even though though the new system is super super flexible, it also feels super super inefficient seeming in terms of working quickly, in some instances.
itsallgoode9
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby calus » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:40 pm

calus Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:40 pm
ok I understand, you don't need different setting per camera, this is just about this damned muscle memory that bring you each time in camera attribute editor ;)

but these settings are separate nodes now so can't be in the camera node UI, but in the meantime you don't have to go trough the render setting you can just directly select the imager node for example,
idealy we should have in Octane shelf a button to access rendersetting nodes directly ( or create one if it doesn't exist),

But you can create your own octane shelf ...
Pascal ANDRE
calus
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby itsallgoode9 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:54 pm

itsallgoode9 Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:54 pm
calus wrote:ok I understand, you don't need different setting per camera, this is just about this damned muscle memory that bring you each time in camera attribute editor ;)

haha yep, i'm still expecting it to be in the camera settings. :lol:

I guess i feel like, in no world, does it organizationally make sense to HAVE to look in the render settings window for what are camera settings. You wouldn't look in the render settings window to change the aperture of the camera would you? So why would you look there to change the exposure?

Don't get me wrong, I get the flexibility of having everything in render globals, but really, (call me crazy) you should be able to also adjust the camera settings...ya know...in the camera. :lol:
itsallgoode9
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Jolbertoquini » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:06 pm

Jolbertoquini Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:06 pm
itsallgoode9 wrote:
calus wrote:ok I understand, you don't need different setting per camera, this is just about this damned muscle memory that bring you each time in camera attribute editor ;)

haha yep, i'm still expecting it to be in the camera settings. :lol:

I guess i feel like, in no world, does it organizationally make sense to HAVE to look in the render settings window for what are camera settings. You wouldn't look in the render settings window to change the aperture of the camera would you? So why would you look there to change the exposure?

Don't get me wrong, I get the flexibility of having everything in render globals, but really, (call me crazy) you should be able to also adjust the camera settings...ya know...in the camera. :lol:

Hi There,

Not agree here with the imager. The imager right now it is as the Standalone is not a camera option it is a extra node as we have there, if you want on the camera create as Pascal said.

Cheers,
JO
Attachments
Screenshot_15.jpg
Standalone
Octane Render for Maya.
https://vimeo.com/jocg/videos
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jocgtd
http://www.hmxmedia.com/
--------------------
Join MAYA OCTANE USERS Skype discussion here :
https://join.skype.com/LXEQaqqfN15w
Jolbertoquini
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby itsallgoode9 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:32 pm

itsallgoode9 Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:32 pm
Your post prove my point!

See how everything related to camera is close to each other in standalone? Although things are in different menus, they are all in the same spot making everything camera related quickly/easily adjustable--as it should be.

This is very much not the case with maya--you have to go to three or four different places to make camera/rendering adjustments in maya. It is extremely disjointed and inefficient and to me, doesn't follow the organization of standalone.

Anyways, just a suggestion to make the plugin more efficient to use in production.
itsallgoode9
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby itsallgoode9 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:27 pm

itsallgoode9 Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:27 pm
quick question-- can you use mel/python to create custom tool windows where I could create myself a window that only has the camera/rendering settings I need common access to, all in one place? Or would any of the commands I need to access for Octane be hidden?
itsallgoode9
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Jolbertoquini » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:53 pm

Jolbertoquini Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:53 pm
itsallgoode9 wrote:Your post prove my point!

See how everything related to camera is close to each other in standalone? Although things are in different menus, they are all in the same spot making everything camera related quickly/easily adjustable--as it should be.

This is very much not the case with maya--you have to go to three or four different places to make camera/rendering adjustments in maya. It is extremely disjointed and inefficient and to me, doesn't follow the organization of standalone.

Anyways, just a suggestion to make the plugin more efficient to use in production.

I understand... well we are using in big productions and is fine not a problem at all is better cause is more flexible on multiple workflows...My point is on standalone is not camera option , and as you can see is just because all options is on render target.
but also as you know you can override any of this nodes per camera like render target. (pascal point screen shot)

So I don't understand why all the troubles on the first place. or maybe we are not understand your point can be that to. I don't know but for us here everything is fine. if you work on nodal on render settings or camera is your decision. I personally use all on the camera sometimes like rendertarget, but "same nodes" are connected on the camera and the render settings windows.

I also attach a scene check the persp camera you have the same nodes as the render settings is like before. and you can add different option per camera... you can see you can have two kernels on the same scene. which is great in some cases.

Cheers,
JO
Attachments
base_scene_01.zip
Maya_scene
(8.39 KiB) Downloaded 239 times
Screenshot_2.jpg
Camera shape
Octane Render for Maya.
https://vimeo.com/jocg/videos
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jocgtd
http://www.hmxmedia.com/