Grid Mapping with FumeFX VDB into octane Volume

Forums: Grid Mapping with FumeFX VDB into octane Volume
Sub forum for bug reports

Moderator: JimStar

Forum rules
Before posting a bug report, please check the following:
1. That the issue has not already been disclosed
2. That the issue is specific to this plugin, and not Octane in general (Try reproducing it in Standalone)
Bugs related to the Octane Engine itself should be posted into the Standalone Support sub-forum.

All bug reports should include the information below, along with a detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce it.
A. Operating System, including version (i.e. Win 7, OSX 10.11.2, Ubuntu 14.04, etc.)
B. Graphics Card(s) model (i.e. GTX 580 - 3GB, TITAN, etc.)
C. RAM Capacity (i.e. 6 GB)
D. Nvidia driver version (i.e. 7.50, 7.5.22)
E. OctaneRender Standalone version, if installed (i.e. 2.24.2, 2.23, etc.)
F. OctaneRender plugin version (i.e. v2.25 - 2.21)
G. Host application version, including build number if available (i.e. 3ds Max 2016 Build 18.0)

Grid Mapping with FumeFX VDB into octane Volume

Postby yfripp » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:40 am

yfripp Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:40 am
I'm trying to use VDBs created with FumeFX for Maya rendered within Octane for Maya and I am unable to select different grid mappings on the octane Volume node, or I cannot find the button to press to allow this to happen. I can change the grid mapping in octane standalone without any dramas.

It appears to be rendering the FireFuel channel.

Is this another feature that hasn't been implemented? It'd be really great to have some form of documentation for Octane for Maya.
Windows 10 | i7 4770K | Titan X | 32gb
yfripp
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Grid Mapping with FumeFX VDB into octane Volume

Postby BK » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:18 am

BK Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:18 am
Hiya,

Are you still having the issue selecting the grid mappings? Please try importing from File menu> Import > set the files of type OctaneRender-VDB then select the .vdb file.

Here are few documentation links of Octane for Maya plugins:

https://docs.otoy.com/Maya_Plugin_Manua ... Manual.htm

https://help.otoy.com/hc/en-us/sections ... 79486-Maya

I hope you will find the information useful.
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby yfripp » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:22 am

yfripp Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:22 am
Thank you for the quick response. Importing the VDB into freshly opened maya scene works and gives me access to the volume channels.

There is still a bug that occurs if you create the volume node through the hypershade in a new maya instance, Then point it to the VDB those channels are not selectable even if you the go and try to import a vdb through the import menu afterwards.

steps to reproduce.

1. Open a fresh maya
2. open hypershade and create a volume node
3. select a vdb sequence

No drop down menus will be present on each of the channels.

Workaround: Do not use the hypershade to create volume Nodes, use the import menu from the Maya File dialog.

if you import a VDB through the import menu it appears to fill all the channels available from the selected vdb and keeps that information in Maya i.e if you create a new scene in a Maya session that has already had a vdb imported into it and create a volume node through the hypershade the dropdown menus are available from the previously imported vdb. I would assume that the octane volume node is not re-reading the available channels from the VDB when you select the file in the browse dialog of the volume node, hence once the node is created it doesn't re-read any channel data from the selected vdb not updating the available channels. I can see this causing issues in the future if you were to select a different vdb from another source with different channel data (a vdb from houdini for example) I dont have such a vdb to test my assumption unfortunately.

Also thank you for the link to the documentation I didn't know that existed.

Thanks Again!
Juri
Windows 10 | i7 4770K | Titan X | 32gb
yfripp
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BK » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:20 am

BK Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:20 am
Hi Juri, :)

Thank you so much for your kind response and detailed steps to reproduce the issue.

We will start investigating on this and hope to get it fixed in our next release.
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to Bug Reports