OctaneRender for Maya 2020.1xb3-17.8 [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender for Maya 2020.1xb3-17.8 [OBSOLETE]
Sub forum for plugin releases

Moderator: JimStar

OctaneRender for Maya 2020.1xb3-17.8 [OBSOLETE]

Postby JimStar » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:46 pm

JimStar Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:46 pm
Forum rules:
NOTE: The software in this forum thread is not 100% reliable, this is a development build and is meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release.

!!! THIS IS THE BETA VERSION OF OctaneRender PLUGIN, IT IS RELEASED FOR INITIAL BUG HUNTING ONLY !!!
!!! PLEASE DON'T USE IT FOR PRODUCTION & DON'T SAVE THE SCENES FROM THIS BETA VERSION FOR FUTURE USE AS THERE ARE HIGH CHANCES TO LOSE THEM !!!
!!! SCENES SAVED IN THIS BETA VERSION ARE NOT GUARANTEED TO WORK IN SUBSEQUENT VERSIONS !!!
!!! THE RENDER ENGINE IS YET TO BE STABLE, SOME CRASHES & BUGS ARE EXPECTED FOR THIS TEST VERSION OF THE PLUGIN !!!

Otoy® is proud to announce the availability of a new test version of OctaneRender™ for Maya®: OctaneRender™ 2020.1
The world's fastest and most feature-rich unbiased render engine that integrates completely into Autodesk® Maya®.

Maya® Version Requirements

This release will work with Maya® Versions 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020 64-bit on Windows, Linux and OSX operating systems.

To use this version, you need a GPU of compute model 3.0 or higher. Support for Fermi GPUs (like GTX 4xx and 5xx) has been dropped. Also make sure you use a driver of version 387 or higher and if you are working on Mac OS that have a CUDA driver installed that supports at least CUDA 9.1.

Changelog and the installers for Octane Standalone 2020.1 are here:
OctaneRender Standalone 2020.1 XB3

Changes since versions 17.7:

• Implemented the "pick latitude/longitude from map" functionality for the "Daylight system" modes of the Daylight-environment and Planetary-environment. See the respective rollouts in the SunSky node's Attribute Editor.
  • Fixed OSX issue with Maya 2020.
  • Fixed missing film settings in some of exported cameras-targets.

KNOWN ISSUES:
  • "CUDA error 700" and other CUDA errors are expected to happen from time to time: these are the Octane engine's bugs. Should be fixed with later SDK/Standalone versions...
  • Due to some inconsistency on the rendering engine level the builtin-scriptgraph nodes are not going to be present in the plugin. At least at this stage.

=================================
Subscription Enterprise Downloads

OctaneRender for Maya Enterprise [Windows]

OctaneRender for Maya Enterprise [Linux]

OctaneRender for Maya Enterprise [MacOS]

Subscription Studio Downloads

OctaneRender for Maya Studio [Windows]

OctaneRender for Maya Studio [Linux]

OctaneRender for Maya Studio [MacOS]
Last edited by JimStar on Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
JimStar
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: OctaneRender for Maya 2020.1xb3-17.8 [BETA]

Postby p3taotoy » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:17 pm

p3taotoy Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:17 pm
Cool Jimstar
Thanks

The plugin installed perfectly in MacoSX 2020.... NICE!!!!!

Quick question re importing ORBX files from stand-alone.

I got the Octane proxy to work well. (Nice implement of a whole scene transfer for sure.)

is there a way to get the objects and materials connected but separated out in Maya.... I realize its kinda back-assed cause you can do that in Maya yourself with objs and Local database for materials etc. My reason for asking....

I have a scene in the standalone that came from an exported OBRX from another app and I want to get that standalone scene into maya with all the separate mesh inputs etc and environment/kernel/imager and resolution and settings etc already in the Maya and further modify.

Trying to save time re-hooking everything up etc.

Thanks
Peter
p3taotoy
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby p3taotoy » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:35 pm

p3taotoy Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:35 pm
Never mind mate... found the edit button and see the octane nodegraph editor now.

Very cool!!!!

Thanks for all teh hard work!
p3taotoy
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby p3taotoy » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:07 pm

p3taotoy Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:07 pm
OK still have question after all... sorry .. just figuring it all out.

I can see how you can edit a proxy and even import new meshes and create materials within the "Octane" NodeGraph 'octaneOrbxProxyShape' etc just like in the stand alone etc. But NOT the Maya Nodegraph editor right?

But when something is inside the proxy.... the imported mesh is invisible to the Maya view port... I think that's because its a proxy ... which if I understand proxys.... makes sense.

But are the render kernel settings and imager settings etc that are part of that original ORBX are they also imported?... where do they reside to edit if that is the case.

Goal...

1. export an already well set up octane scene in "say from Cinema or Blender etc" to ORBX or OCS
2. (open in standalone to check it or maybe even tweak it... save it etc.) Not a nec step... but sometimes I may want to export a ORBX from a standalone created from scratch.
3. Import that ORBX/OCS scene into Maya and move the meshes around within Maya or animate them etc in the view port and outlier or the materials in the hypergraph etc.... i.e. use Maya's strengths without having to import meshes and materials separately and then re hook up all the well hooked up existing octane settings.

Does my question make sense and am I missing something obvious?

Many thanks

Peter

Is that possible without using the proxy or importing meshes and exported materials separately then looking at settings in standalone and hand entering them back into maya's octane settings etc.
p3taotoy
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby calus » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:25 pm

calus Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:25 pm
p3taotoy wrote:But when something is inside the proxy.... the imported mesh is invisible to the Maya view port...

Right the ORBXproxy node only have an annoying box locator representation,
My wokflow is to use alembic geometry in the Orbx proxy node while also linking the same alembic file in a Maya GPUcache node,
then parenting the ORBXproxy to the GPUcache,
and making the useless box locator not visible in the viewport (thanks to a hidden attribute of the ORBXproxy shape :shock:).

p3taotoy wrote:But are the render kernel settings and imager settings etc that are part of that original ORBX are they also imported?

No, ORBXproxy only contain geometry nodes and attached materials nodes.
Pascal ANDRE
calus
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby p3taotoy » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:47 pm

p3taotoy Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:47 pm
Got it I think...

Do you specify that the exported ORBX file has Alembic nodes in it (As opposed to OBJ)? In preferences somewhere I am guessing.

Then you also just export the alembic file as a separate file (using the geometry export node from the standalone) and import that into Maya so you can see something where your invis. proxy box sits so yo have a reference etc.

Am I on the right track there....?

Or are you exporting your alembic a different original app?

Thanks man

Peter
p3taotoy
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby calus » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:30 am

calus Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:30 am
p3taotoy wrote:Am I on the right track there....?

I guess several workflow are possible as usual in Maya,
but personally I prefer to export alembic with the Maya builtin Alembic cache exporter (menus> cache > alembic cache>export selection to alembic) as it is faster, more powerful and reliable than the ORBX exporter (except obviously no materials are exported).
First I import back the .abc in Maya in a GPUcache node ( menus > cache > GPUcache > import ),
then I create an empty ORBXproxy node, parent it to the GPUcache, open it with the EDIT button, import the .abc in the Octane Editor and create Materials there (or copy paste them from standalone), close the editor window to validate my changes.
Pascal ANDRE
calus
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby p3taotoy » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:24 am

p3taotoy Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:24 am
Very cool

Thanks for taking the time to explain.

Much appreciated.

Peter
p3taotoy
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby thashisho » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:26 pm

thashisho Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:26 pm
Hello,

I've downloaded this BETA release for Linux (I'm running Centos 7 with Maya 2020), tried to install it by executing the .run file and the installer gave an error which I understood as not finding a certain directory called /usr/autodesk/maya2020-x64 or something of that sort. The issue is the installer is looking for this directory while the actual directory is called maya2020 in /usr/autodesk. So I un-archived the .run file and installed the plugin manually as per the instructions included.

When I launch Maya, it is showing OctanePlugin.so in the plugins list, but when I click to activate it, this error comes up in Maya:

// Error: file: /usr/autodesk/maya/scripts/others/pluginWin.mel line 317: libaurloader.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory (OctanePlugin) //
// Error: file: /usr/autodesk/maya/scripts/others/pluginWin.mel line 317: Unable to dynamically load : /usr/autodesk/maya/bin/plug-ins/OctanePlugin.so

and it fails to load the plugin.

Anything I'm doing wrong or is there a better way to install the Plugin. All dependant libraries are installed and available in their right locations as per the install instructions.

Your help and support is appreciated.

Thanks...
Tarek Hashisho
thashisho
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby JimStar » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:41 pm

JimStar Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:41 pm
thashisho
Looks to me like a bug in Linux version. I'll do some fixes in the next version - please check the 17.9 beta after it gets released.

Regarding installer - I need the exact error message it gave you...
JimStar
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Next

Return to Releases