OctaneRender® for Maya® 3.06.4 - 11.7[OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender® for Maya® 3.06.4 - 11.7[OBSOLETE]
Sub forum for plugin releases

Moderator: JimStar

Re: OctaneRender® for Maya® 3.06.4 - 11.7[STABLE]

Postby calus » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:28 am

calus Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:28 am
BK wrote:The implementation of Global type is to save translation time allowing nonanimated objects merging into only one translation node. [ https://docs.otoy.com/MayaH/MayaPluginM ... yTypes.htm]

Hey Bikram,
the online help about Global Geometry Type is not up to date, I think.

The Global type was useful in V2, it could make rendering really faster in some cases:
Indeed, merging objects into one is a common trick to speed-up ray-scene intersections for old raytracers.

But since V3, Octane seems to use a more efficient acceleration structure making this trick useless.
In my tests, rendering is even slower with Global Geometry Type now, because of the additional "mesh merging" time.

In my opinion the Global type should be removed because it doesn't speed-up rendering anymore and breaks a lot of Octane features.
Or did you find a use-case where the Global Geometry Type has any advantage in V3 ?
Pascal ANDRE
calus
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BK » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:10 am

BK Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:10 am
calus wrote:
BK wrote:The implementation of Global type is to save translation time allowing nonanimated objects merging into only one translation node. [ https://docs.otoy.com/MayaH/MayaPluginM ... yTypes.htm]

Hey Bikram,
the online help about Global Geometry Type is not up to date, I think.

The Global type was useful in V2, it could make rendering really faster in some cases:
Indeed, merging objects into one is a common trick to speed-up ray-scene intersections for old raytracers.

But since V3, Octane seems to use a more efficient acceleration structure making this trick useless.
In my tests, rendering is even slower with Global Geometry Type now, because of the additional "mesh merging" time.

In my opinion the Global type should be removed because it doesn't speed-up rendering anymore and breaks a lot of Octane features.
Or did you find a use-case where the Global Geometry Type has any advantage in V3 ?

Hi Pascal,

We are currently waiting for the plugin to finish the refactor, that is why our documentation for Octane for Maya is not up to date on Global Geometry type.

Thank you so much for testing the Global geometry type.

We would surely consider this with our team whether to remove or keep it.

I will keep you informed from time to time.

Thanks again !!
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby p3taoctane » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:56 pm

p3taoctane Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:56 pm
Geometry type

I have some mesh spheres that are animated on and off in visibility on the maya visibility node and the mesh is set to reshapable proxy as they are attached to a bend deformer.

Render window does not update this visibility feature.... is there any setting that I can key frame in Octane Render settings that will enable these to update in the render viewer for Octane render?

Thanks

Peter
Windows 7 Pro_SP 1_64 bit_48 GB Ram_Intel Xeon X5660 2.80 GHZ x2_6 580GTX_1 Quadra 4800
p3taoctane
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby calus » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:13 pm

calus Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:13 pm
p3taoctane wrote:Geometry type

I have some mesh spheres that are animated on and off in visibility on the maya visibility node and the mesh is set to reshapable proxy as they are attached to a bend deformer.

Render window does not update this visibility feature.... is there any setting that I can key frame in Octane Render settings that will enable these to update in the render viewer for Octane render?

Thanks

Peter

Strange, this should work, if visibility is not updated in IPR for Reshapable Proxies, well this is a bug ...
I can't check now but I didn't notice this problem before,
trying to guess :

- Maybe you have the "animation mode" in render setting set to "Full" and should be set to "Movable proxies" for this to work ?
- Or maybe this is the visibility of the shape that you have animated and this only work if you animate visibility at the transform level ?
Pascal ANDRE
calus
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BK » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:08 am

BK Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:08 am
calus wrote:
p3taoctane wrote:Geometry type

Thanks

Peter

Strange, this should work, if visibility is not updated in IPR for Reshapable Proxies, well this is a bug ...
I can't check now but I didn't notice this problem before,
trying to guess :

- Maybe you have the "animation mode" in render setting set to "Full" and should be set to "Movable proxies" for this to work ?
- Or maybe this is the visibility of the shape that you have animated and this only work if you animate visibility at the transform level ?

@ Calus, thanks for the response.

@Peter, Are you still having the issue on animating the Maya visibility? Please try the attached scene and let us know.

Launch the IPR and scroll the time slider, the sphere should disappear on 10th frame. Cheers !!
Attachments
Vis_sphere.7z
(12.12 KiB) Downloaded 231 times
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby p3taoctane » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:15 pm

p3taoctane Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:15 pm
Thanks I just needed to refresh teh IPR and it worked

Peter
Windows 7 Pro_SP 1_64 bit_48 GB Ram_Intel Xeon X5660 2.80 GHZ x2_6 580GTX_1 Quadra 4800
p3taoctane
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby itsallgoode9 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:32 am

itsallgoode9 Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:32 am
Considering, in the following "months" there will be no Maya 2018 support, no bug fixes and no feature additions, would you mind letting us know some some sort update on progress of the refactoring of the plugin? Now that it's been over a month since your last update, any update yet on what "months" means (will we get any update or support in 2017 etc)?
Intel i7-3930K, 64gb RAM, Asus X79 Deluxe mobo, 2x EVGA 780 6gb (for rendering), 1x PNY quaddro k4000 (for display)
Windows 8.1 x64, Maya 2014, Octane Render v2
itsallgoode9
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby coilbook » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:55 am

coilbook Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:55 am
abeoctane wrote:Hi, with this version of the plugin, the render hags randomly with the next error:

Octane engine log:
CUDA error 719 on device 3: unspecified launch failure
CUDA error 719 on device 2: unspecified launch failure
CUDA error 719 on device 0: unspecified launch failure
CUDA error 719 on device 1: unspecified launch failure
-> kernel execution failed(report)
-> failed to launch kernel(ptBrdf2)
-> failed to launch kernel(init4)
device 0: path tracing kernel failed
-> failed to copy memory from device.
device 1: path tracing kernel failed
device 3: path tracing kernel failed
device 2: path tracing kernel failed

My gpus are 3x780ti and 1x1080

hi were you able to fix this error? I am getting it a lot especially with VDBs Thank you
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BK » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:24 am

BK Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:24 am
coilbook wrote:
abeoctane wrote:Hi, with this version of the plugin, the render hags randomly with the next error:

Octane engine log:
CUDA error 719 on device 0: unspecified launch failure
CUDA error 719 on device 1: unspecified launch failure
-> failed to launch kernel(init4)
device 0: path tracing kernel failed
-> failed to copy memory from device.
device 1: path tracing kernel failed
device 3: path tracing kernel failed
device 2: path tracing kernel failed

My gpus are 3x780ti and 1x1080

hi were you able to fix this error? I am getting it a lot especially with VDBs Thank you

Hi, coilbook,

Are you using multiple instances of Maya? Is there any other CUDA enabled application opened?

This could be related to CUDA driver too?
Would you please try to uninstall and reinstall the driver.

Let us know how it goes!!!
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby BK » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:26 am

BK Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:26 am
itsallgoode9 wrote:Considering, in the following "months" there will be no Maya 2018 support, no bug fixes and no feature additions, would you mind letting us know some some sort update on progress of the refactoring of the plugin? Now that it's been over a month since your last update, any update yet on what "months" means (will we get any update or support in 2017 etc)?

Hi, itsallgoode9,

My apology for the delays in updating everyone on the forum.

We are constantly in touch with ADN team since this is a major refactoring, however, it is progressing according to as we planned.
There would be lots of improvement and the plugin will run much efficiently. It will also support the older versions too.

At this stage, we do not have a proper build yet, as the work is mostly based of RnDs shuffling back and forth.

We will definitely get updates on latest SDKs for 2016, 2016.5, 2017 and 2018 as soon as we finish the refactor.

There would be an announcement on the forum regarding the timeline hopefully in a month or two. Thanks again for your patience.
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

PreviousNext

Return to Releases