triplanar and bump

Forums: triplanar and bump
Sub forum for bug reports

Moderator: juanjgon

Forum rules
Before posting a bug report, please check the following:
1. That the issue has not already been disclosed
2. That the issue is specific to this plugin, and not Octane in general (Try reproducing it in Standalone)
Bugs related to the Octane Engine itself should be posted into the Standalone Support sub-forum.

All bug reports should include the information below, along with a detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce it.
A. Operating System, including version (i.e. Win 7, OSX 10.11.2, Ubuntu 14.04, etc.)
B. Graphics Card(s) model (i.e. GTX 580 - 3GB, TITAN, etc.)
C. RAM Capacity (i.e. 6 GB)
D. Nvidia driver version (i.e. 7.50, 7.5.22)
E. OctaneRender Standalone version, if installed (i.e. 2.24.2, 2.23, etc.)
F. OctaneRender plugin version (i.e. v2.25 - 2.21)
G. Host application version, including build number if available (i.e. 3ds Max 2016 Build 18.0)

triplanar and bump

Postby WhyGee » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:11 pm

WhyGee Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:11 pm
Hi,
I was wondering if triplanar projection is supported with bump? It seems that it does something with very high values but the projection seems incorrect through the bump. (diffuse works fine)
(latest build 3.06.0.4)
Thanks
Yaniv
WhyGee
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: triplanar and bump

Postby calus » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:11 am

calus Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:11 am
WhyGee wrote:Hi,
I was wondering if triplanar projection is supported with bump? It seems that it does something with very high values but the projection seems incorrect through the bump. (diffuse works fine)
(latest build 3.06.0.4)
Thanks
Yaniv

I can't say for the Houdini plugin,
but in Octane Core 3.06, bump texture with triplanar projection is supported and works perfectly .
Pascal ANDRE
calus
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:53 am

juanjgon Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:53 am
It can be a problem already fixed in the final Octane 3.06 core. I want to release a new plugin build with this core this week, but if you want to share a sample scene with this problem, I could test it here with it to be sure.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby WhyGee » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:35 am

WhyGee Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:35 am
Hi,
I've attached a sample scene with 2 renders.
It's not that bump doesn't work, it's that it seems like the triplanar projection (connected to diffuse) is sampling the normals after the bump is applied. I could see why this may be useful in some situations but usually I wouldn't expect the texture to change because of the bump. It would be nice if it was an option on the triplanar node and not the default behavior.

Thank you
Yaniv
Attachments
triplanar_without_bump1.PNG
triplanar_with_bump1.PNG
triplanar_bump_test1.rar
HIP + textures
(3.74 MiB) Downloaded 277 times
WhyGee
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby WhyGee » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:39 pm

WhyGee Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:39 pm
I've also done another test where I bake out a triplanar projection. comparing the triplanar projection and the resulting baked texture, in the diffuse channel they look the same. When connected to bump, they behave differently, aside from giving a different bump look, the triplanar requires multiplying the intensity by factors of tens.
WhyGee
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:23 pm

juanjgon Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:23 pm
OK, yes, I can see the problem now. As you say, it seems an Octane limitation, that is computing the triplanar mapping using the shading normal before it has been perturbed by the bump or normal maps. I'll ask the Octane developers about this feature.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby abstrax » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:59 pm

abstrax Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:59 pm
WhyGee wrote:Hi,
I've attached a sample scene with 2 renders.
It's not that bump doesn't work, it's that it seems like the triplanar projection (connected to diffuse) is sampling the normals after the bump is applied. I could see why this may be useful in some situations but usually I wouldn't expect the texture to change because of the bump. It would be nice if it was an option on the triplanar node and not the default behavior.

Thank you
Yaniv

Yes, that seems to be an oversight. The box projection also uses the interpolated geometry normal and not the bump mapped normal. We will change the tri-planar texture node to use the interpolated geometry normal, too, unless there is a very good reason to make it optional, in which case we could make it selectable.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby WhyGee » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:25 am

WhyGee Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:25 am
the option to have it as is is not something I see a real use for other than just a variation on how the texture is sampled but maybe someone will find it useful. Normally that is definitely not the desired effect.

Thank you!
Yaniv
WhyGee
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Bug Reports