Geometry missing from render

Forums: Geometry missing from render
Sub forum for bug reports

Moderator: juanjgon

Forum rules
Before posting a bug report, please check the following:
1. That the issue has not already been disclosed
2. That the issue is specific to this plugin, and not Octane in general (Try reproducing it in Standalone)
Bugs related to the Octane Engine itself should be posted into the Standalone Support sub-forum.

All bug reports should include the information below, along with a detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce it.
A. Operating System, including version (i.e. Win 7, OSX 10.11.2, Ubuntu 14.04, etc.)
B. Graphics Card(s) model (i.e. GTX 580 - 3GB, TITAN, etc.)
C. RAM Capacity (i.e. 6 GB)
D. Nvidia driver version (i.e. 7.50, 7.5.22)
E. OctaneRender Standalone version, if installed (i.e. 2.24.2, 2.23, etc.)
F. OctaneRender plugin version (i.e. v2.25 - 2.21)
G. Host application version, including build number if available (i.e. 3ds Max 2016 Build 18.0)

Geometry missing from render

Postby lionlee19 » Mon May 02, 2022 8:54 am

lionlee19 Mon May 02, 2022 8:54 am
I have encountered this bug multiple times now.
"Render frame range" is buggy.
Octane will not read in the geometry data if the data only start appear in the middle of the sequence.
For example, I have a geo object named "A" which only has polygon from Frame10 onward.
If I "save render as frame range " from Frame1 to Frame20, because "A" has nothing on the starting frame, Octane will be bugged and render the whole sequence without A.
But if I "save render as frame range " from Frame10 to Frame20, because "A" has geometry data on the starting frame, A will be rendered correctly and apear throughout the whole sequence.
lionlee19
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Geometry missing from render

Postby juanjgon » Mon May 02, 2022 4:06 pm

juanjgon Mon May 02, 2022 4:06 pm
Yep, this is a known limitation. If an OBJ node doesn't have any valid geometry in the first frame, it is not even extracted, so later it can't be updated.

The workaround for this kind of scene is to render them in full scene reload mode. If you configure the Octane ROP node to render in full scene reload mode, the whole sequence should be rendered fine.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby mirocreative » Thu May 05, 2022 2:15 pm

mirocreative Thu May 05, 2022 2:15 pm
I had this issue when working with particles not being present on the first frame. I placed a few particles behind the camera (at a blind spot) and managed to render/export without the frame range madness. Might work for you as well.
mirocreative
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Carlll » Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:59 pm

Carlll Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:59 pm
juanjgon wrote:Yep, this is a known limitation. If an OBJ node doesn't have any valid geometry in the first frame, it is not even extracted, so later it can't be updated.

The workaround for this kind of scene is to render them in full scene reload mode. If you configure the Octane ROP node to render in full scene reload mode, the whole sequence should be rendered fine.

Thanks,
-Juanjo

how is this a thing with the octane plugin but works fine with the redshift houdini plugin? you worked on both right so im curious why they differ when it comes to this feature/issue?
Carlll
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Bug Reports