OctaneRender 2020.1 for Houdini Beta build 2020.1.0.3 RC1

Forums: OctaneRender 2020.1 for Houdini Beta build 2020.1.0.3 RC1
Sub forum for plugin releases

Moderator: juanjgon

OctaneRender 2020.1 for Houdini Beta build 2020.1.0.3 RC1

Postby juanjgon » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:53 am

juanjgon Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:53 am
Hi,

This is a beta release of the OctaneRender™ 2020.1 for Houdini™ plugin compiled with the Octane 2020.1 RC1 core. This 2020.1.0.3 release is available for the Houdini 16.5/17.0/17.5/18.0 latest production builds on Windows x64, Linux gcc6.3.1 and MacOS 10.12. This plugin is also compatible with Houdini Indie (While working inside the Indie version, the plugin will have a 4k limited resolution while rendering sequences and the scene export and cloud rendering features disabled)

To use Octane 2020.1, you need to have a Studio or Enterprise subscription license. We recommend you to update your NVIDIA driver to at least 435.80 for Windows or 435.12 for Linux.

As with all experimental builds, we advise to not to use this release for production purposes. We can't guarantee that scenes saved with this version will be compatible in future releases, and we anticipate there being several maintenance releases.

New features
To learn more about the new features and improvements of OctaneRender 2020.1, please check out the 2020.1 XB1 release post, but this is a quick list of the main new features that have been added. The features not listed here, like the new universal camera node, will be available in the upcoming builds.

• New option to enable the RTX improvements.
  • Spectron Area and Sphere light types.
  • Particle and Curves Point Attributes.
  • New Hosek-Wilkie Spectral Sky Model.
  • Improvements to Round Edges artist control.
  • SSS Improvements and Random Walk SSS.
  • Spectral Hair Material.
  • ACES: new workflow and Image Container File Layout
  • Volume Step % and Shadow Step %
  • Volume Sample Position Displacement
  • New Universal Dirt System

Release 2020.1.0.3 Enterprise subscription license
https://render.otoy.com/customerdownloa ... rprise.zip

Release 2020.1.0.3 Studio subscription license
https://render.otoy.com/customerdownloa ... studio.zip

Release 2020.1.0.3 for H18.0.391 All licenses and platforms
https://render.otoy.com/customerdownloa ... .0.391.zip

Standalone 2020.1 RC1 version for the network rendering nodes
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=73978

Release Notes
=============================================
RELEASE 2020.1.0.3
=============================================

* PLUGIN FEATURES AND FIXES:

- Fixed a problem with the hair rendering custom attributes, that were rendered in the wrong order.
- Added the camera parameters metadata to the exported EXR files.
- Support of mesh and hair object with a non-constant topology while rendering or exporting sequences in update mode.
- Addressed the limitaion in the gradient nodes that didn't work without keys at the start/end positions.
- Support of instancing from disabled master objects.
- Support of the @alpha float point attribute in the instances packed RGBA values.
- New option in the Octane Light to support the IES Spherical Projection while working with this type of lights.
- Fixed a crash while rendering VOP subnets without output nodes.

* OCTANE 2020.1 RC1 FEATURES AND BUGS FIXED:
- Improved out-of-core and peer-to-peer (NVlink) so data that would always need to be on VRAM before can now be evicted. This means that some scenes that would run out of VRAM may work now.
- Fixed dirt texture does rendering black with RTX geometry.
- Fixed accurate rounded edges mode not being applied on RTX geometry.
- Fixed GPU illegal memory access when using emission and RTX with animated instances.
- Fixed a device error happening sometimes when using more than one RTX meshes.
- Fixed some cases causing the render to hang without producing any output.
- Fixed wrong license expiry time being displayed when activating subscription builds using a perpetual license.
- Fixed issue with auto bump map calculation causing the output to be black in some scenarios.
- Fixed issue with auto bump was not working as intended when the object was scaled or rotated.
- Fixed crash when switching denoiser on/off and device peering was enabled.

Happy rendering,
Your OTOY Team
Last edited by juanjgon on Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: OctaneRender 2020.1 for Houdini Beta build 2020.1.0.3 RC1

Postby thashisho » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:37 am

thashisho Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:37 am
Hello,

Thanks for the update it's really amazing how fast this was released. I have started testing the new update and I've an issue. I have a scene with two objects total polygons is around 18 mil. Once I launch IPR from inside Houdini, the IPR window comes up and after a very short while it crashes Houdini. I tried to look at the log file but could not spot any issues. If I hide disable any of the two objects, the IPR works fine with no issues. If I have both objects, the IPR crashes Houdini. I'm running on Centos 7 with all updates and nVidia 440.44 driver. My machine has two 2080TIs installed. I tried rendering the file also using RedShift, Mantra and Arnold with no issues at all.

I'm also running the Octane Standalone 2020.1 RC1. Anything I can do to solve this issue?

Thank you...
Attachments
crash.noiseThingMODEL.tarekhashisho_7877_log.txt
Houdini Log
(3.64 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
octane.log
Octane Log
(52.38 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
thashisho
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:22 am

juanjgon Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:22 am
thashisho wrote:Hello,

Thanks for the update it's really amazing how fast this was released. I have started testing the new update and I've an issue. I have a scene with two objects total polygons is around 18 mil. Once I launch IPR from inside Houdini, the IPR window comes up and after a very short while it crashes Houdini. I tried to look at the log file but could not spot any issues. If I hide disable any of the two objects, the IPR works fine with no issues. If I have both objects, the IPR crashes Houdini. I'm running on Centos 7 with all updates and nVidia 440.44 driver. My machine has two 2080TIs installed. I tried rendering the file also using RedShift, Mantra and Arnold with no issues at all.

I'm also running the Octane Standalone 2020.1 RC1. Anything I can do to solve this issue?

Hi.

it seems a crash at the render time, in the Octane core. Can you send us this scene to take a look at it here? You could also export the scene to an .orbx file enabling the export options in the Octane ROP node and check if you can reproduce this crash in the Standalone. If the .orbx file also crashes Standalone, this file could help a lot to know what's the problem.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby thashisho » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:39 pm

thashisho Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:39 pm
juanjgon wrote:
thashisho wrote:Hello,

Hi.

it seems a crash at the render time, in the Octane core. Can you send us this scene to take a look at it here? You could also export the scene to an .orbx file enabling the export options in the Octane ROP node and check if you can reproduce this crash in the Standalone. If the .orbx file also crashes Standalone, this file could help a lot to know what's the problem.

Thanks,
-Juanjo

Thanks for your prompt reply. I tried as you suggested and the .orbx file also crashes Octane Standalone. Here is a Dropbox link to the .orbx file that is a .zip archive as I could not upload it because of size. The archived file size is 753MB and the .orbx file is 1.9GB or so.

Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nj34i6fqywf4x82/OrbxFile.zip?dl=0

Thanks...
Tarek Hashisho
thashisho
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:54 pm

juanjgon Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:54 pm
Ok. Thanks for the scene. I'll report it to the core devs to check what's the problem.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby juanjgon » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:26 pm

juanjgon Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:26 pm
Hi,

I've updated this post adding a proper plugin build for the new Houdini 18.0.391 production build.
https://render.otoy.com/customerdownloa ... .0.391.zip

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby snakeboxmedia » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:56 pm

snakeboxmedia Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:56 pm
Could someone please explain a bit more about how to use this:

ACES: new workflow and Image Container File Layout

In Octane for Houdini?

I have the ACES config loaded and can see the profiles in houdini's normal renderview, but how do I setup Octane to respect this? does octane have a texture converter? where are we at with this? how do I get the framebuffer to accept ACES and so on?

Thanks! it's a nightmare trying to find any actual info on this.
snakeboxmedia
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby seriawp » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:46 pm

seriawp Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:46 pm
Houdini Steam Version (391 build)
This appear in Console at startup
But octane working
if turn off octane (in .env) - no errors in console
seriawp
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:11 pm

juanjgon Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:11 pm
Hmm, I had never seen anything like that. Can you please attach your houdini.env file?

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby snakeboxmedia » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:36 pm

snakeboxmedia Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:36 pm
seriawp wrote:Houdini Steam Version (391 build)
This appear in Console at startup
But octane working
if turn off octane (in .env) - no errors in console

This has nothing to do with octane. its your user UI that is messed up. happens for a lot of people with the new build.

easiest fix is to just go to your documents folder and delete the "houdini18.0" folder, let houdini recreate when you run it next time.

Make sure you keep your env and packages saved before doing that if you are using that.
snakeboxmedia
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Releases