Packed geo to ORBX

Forums: Packed geo to ORBX
Houdini Integrated Plugin

Moderator: juanjgon

Packed geo to ORBX

Postby mirocreative » Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:13 am

mirocreative Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:13 am
Hey Everyone,

using a chain SOP with packed geo and trying to export scene to ORBX. Process does start, but ends with an "OCTANE API ERROR: unable to find root node graph." console error. Packed Geo Instancing is enabled, anyone came across the issue earlier or I'm missing something? Do I need full scene reload to export to ORBX?

Thanks!
mirocreative
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Packed geo to ORBX

Postby juanjgon » Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:15 am

juanjgon Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:15 am
Hmm, I'm not sure if sequence rendering of scenes including packed geo instancing is compatible with the .orbx export feature. These scenes must be rendered in full scene reload mode, something not compatible with the .orbx export function. Can you please share an example scene with this issue to take a look at it here?

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby mirocreative » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:52 pm

mirocreative Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:52 pm
Hey Juanjo,

thanks for the prompt help! I have NDAs in place, so I can't really share the scene, but here's a screenshot for an overview. I can replace the actual products with boxes though, if it helps.

Screenshot 2022-09-09 094217.jpg

This is a huge solar farm array with thousands of separate trackers. I'm using a chain SOP to connect them as we have to animate the underlying terrain and the array has to conform to these changes. Obviously, I have to pack the geo before the chain SOP or else it'll distort.

I'd need a way to export a static setup with only a camera moving to render on RNDR, but it seems I'm stuck at exporting to ORBX (even though the array is static, doesn't need to update), works fine on my workstation. Tried copy to points as instances but didn't really came out nicely.

Let me know if you have any ideas :)

Thanks,

Chris.
mirocreative
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:30 pm

juanjgon Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:30 pm
And how about a conventional instancer using the @instance point attribute pointing to the master object?

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby mirocreative » Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:15 pm

mirocreative Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:15 pm
juanjgon wrote:And how about a conventional instancer using the @instance point attribute pointing to the master object?

Thanks,
-Juanjo

Tried everything, for some reason it doesn't look as good as with the chain SOP. I'll just render it overnight on my workstation, no big deal.

So that looks like a limitation I need to look out next time :D
mirocreative
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Houdini