Invalid mesh: vertex speeds don't match

Forums: Invalid mesh: vertex speeds don't match
Houdini Integrated Plugin

Moderator: juanjgon

Invalid mesh: vertex speeds don't match

Postby stevepickup » Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:52 pm

stevepickup Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:52 pm
Hello - I'm getting the following error whilst rendering
*** OCTANE API MSG: Invalid mesh: vertex speeds don't match vertex count (192102 vs. 192128)
I disabled motion blur thinking that might the issue. It does seem to stop the error message but I still get random frames where the mesh goes a little crazy - see below.
The scene is a animated VDB (SDF) node tree that's converted back to polygon before assigning a material. I suspect it's something to do with the mesh being created from the VDB??
Attachments
Scene04_Shield2.1261.png
stevepickup
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Invalid mesh: vertex speeds don't match

Postby juanjgon » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:36 am

juanjgon Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:36 am
I'm not sure, to be honest. Can you please share a scene with this issue (as simple as possible) to take a look at it here?

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby stevepickup » Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:04 pm

stevepickup Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:04 pm
Thank you... ill send over. If I use a remesh after the ConvertVDB it seems okay because it's animated, the remesh is not ideal.

Could I also ask a question regarding Octane and Deadline to batch render. I've got it all setup and working. However it takes longer to render per frame via Deadline?? Looking at the GPU usage while it's running, it seems to be that everything unloads and reloads for each frame with Deadline... is there a better way to batch render with Octane?

EDIT:
Actually... just had a play with the batch render as part of the ODTool Quick setup and that seems like a simpler option.
Appologies for so many questions... not been using Octane long (but really love it!) - just working on my production processes :-)
stevepickup
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby stevepickup » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:25 am

stevepickup Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:25 am
Update: Rendered last night and even with a remesh i'm still getting one or two odd frames.
I can easily go back and just rerender the individual frames, and they come out fine, but i'd be interested to know what im doing that might be causing the issue... im wondering now if it might be the material so will try running with a basic one this evening
stevepickup
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:26 am

juanjgon Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:26 am
Have you tried to render the scene in "full scene reload" mode? If the frames with problems are rendered fine one by one, the problem comes from a limitation updating the scene for sure. In this case, the full scene reload rendering should help.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Houdini