Workflow Question about parallel orbx-creation

Forums: Workflow Question about parallel orbx-creation
Houdini Integrated Plugin

Moderator: juanjgon

Workflow Question about parallel orbx-creation

Postby vime » Thu May 06, 2021 10:59 am

vime Thu May 06, 2021 10:59 am
Hi there,

so I have a question about best-practice for orbx-creation using the houdini-plugin for Octane.
What we do is that we have one machine running, connected to Deadline, to create orbx-files for our renderfarm in parallel (10 workers).

Deadline is calling hython which is doing his thing.
Two drawbacks though:
- We have license issues running more then 2 instances on one machine (because there is a hard limit for two parallel licensing processes per machine)
- The loading of the Octane-Plugin within hython and spawning hython itself consumes about 20-30 seconds which is nasty when you have to create 2000-3000 orbx-files per day.

Now, my question is how to have a persisted hython-session with the Octane-Plugin already loaded to receive jobs.
In hython I can have a while-loop doing this but how can I have a persisted Octane-Session?

Tbh, I dont even know where to start really. Any ideas on that would be great!

Thanks and greetings

Goetz
vime
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Workflow Question about parallel orbx-creation

Postby juanjgon » Thu May 06, 2021 6:14 pm

juanjgon Thu May 06, 2021 6:14 pm
The problem can be that Deadline doesn't support the rendering of multiple frames using a single hython session (although I'm not sure, to be honest). Using a custom python script you could load the scene only once in a single hython session and render multiple frames from it. It is a matter of configuring a loop to set the current frame in the ROP node and rendering it.

Hope it helps,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby vime » Fri May 07, 2021 7:00 am

vime Fri May 07, 2021 7:00 am
Hi Juanjo,

we do not render several frames, we only do stills. Yet I dont have a clue how to perform what you proposed but from the logical perspective it sounds good.
But personally you dont have experience with this workflow, right?

Thanks!

Goetz
vime
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Fri May 07, 2021 12:57 pm

juanjgon Fri May 07, 2021 12:57 pm
Once you launch hython, you can load any number of scenes and render any number of frames without leaving it, so the Octane plugin is loaded only once. As I've said, this workflow is a matter of building a script to load scenes and render them, all from a single pyhton script/session.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Houdini