Octane cant render EXRs?

Forums: Octane cant render EXRs?
Houdini Integrated Plugin

Moderator: juanjgon

Octane cant render EXRs?

Postby Vanya_K » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:27 am

Vanya_K Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:27 am
Hi I use Octane for Houdini and whenever I try to export EXR deep image for compositing it crashesh my computer and sends thiis error *** OCTANE API MSG: Deep image is not enabled.
 *** OCTANE API MSG: failed to tonemap the render passes
 *** OCTANE API MSG: failed to save deep EXR
 *** OCTANE API MSG: ERROR: failed to export render passes to a Deep EXR file
14752: Fatal error: Segmentation fault
Saving application data to C:/Users/Owner/AppData/Local/Temp/houdini_temp/crash.bs.Owner_14752.hiplc

Is there any way to get over this bug ?Thank you
Vanya_K
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Octane cant render EXRs?

Postby juanjgon » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:17 pm

juanjgon Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:17 pm
What Octane and Houdini versions are you using? Can you please send us an scene as simple as possible to reproduce this problem here?

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Vanya_K » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:13 am

Vanya_K Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:13 am
I am using Houdini 18.5.532 but I tried it in 18.5.499 and in neither of them EXR export is possible. I have a scene with a flip sim, particles and small animation. It's all cached out and should go smooth. Using Octane 20.2.3.0.
I attached session fie with render setting.
Thank you
Attachments
ShipSail-JUST A SHIP.7z
(152.07 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
Vanya_K
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Vanya_K » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:01 am

Vanya_K Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:01 am
EDIT : Ok here is what I figured out meanwhile, in RENDER TARGET there are these EXR boxes I haven't seen so far so I checked them. That didn't help at first and my EXR exports were still black. I can see them in MPLay but they don't export out of Houdini. But than I disabled DEEP IMAGE boxes on my ROP and it worked but I still can't export passes like Beauty, Z Depth or Light and stuff just EXR COLOR RGB . Now I am not sure what's the difference because I thought EXR is referred to as a "deep image" but when I disable that I am able to export EXR (just basic Beauty) but not any passes.

Essentially what I am trying to do is to use CryptoObjectNodeName function to have my layer passes in 1 EXR. I can only see them being made in MPlay and than I can never have them exported. When I render it I see it being rendered correctly in MPlay but when I open it in NUKE(Natron) I can't see layers separated inside just 3 empty channels.
I made it work by separating it all to 3 different ROPS and connecting them to a merge node so instead of 1 EXR with layers it will be EXR per layer. Let me know if there is any more efficient workflow. Thank you
Attachments
rops.png
ship.png
foam.png
water.png
sessionrt.png
session.png
Vanya_K
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:00 am

juanjgon Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:00 am
But do you need to use the deep rendering in composition? I wonder if you are thinking about milti-layered EXR files, not deep EXR files. To render a single muli-layered EXR file including all your passes, you only need to enable the "Save Layered EXR" option in the Octane ROP node.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Houdini