Controlling individual reflections

Forums: Controlling individual reflections
Houdini Integrated Plugin

Moderator: juanjgon

Controlling individual reflections

Postby stevepickup » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:51 am

stevepickup Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:51 am
Hello - I'm currently doing a bit of product viz and want to get some very fine control on reflections.

I found this post which give some awesome! help on doing just that (and solved many of my problems) - viewtopic.php?f=21&t=71597

However id also really like to be able to target an individual objects reflection.
Eg. I have a light being reflected in a bottle and a cap on that bottle - I want the cap to be max reflection of the light (no problem)
But want the bottle to have max reflection of it's environment but reduce the reflection of the light object. Using the script above I can reduce the reflection on the light, but that also reduces it in the cap. Or I can reduce it on the bottle but that also reduces it for the environment, so need a way to just target a single object from the other objects material :?

I know I could just render out a couple of passes and comp this but just got into having a bit of a play with what can be achieved directly out of the renderer so wondered if there was a way to do this? I'm guessing it will be OSL if possible at all.
stevepickup
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Controlling individual reflections

Postby fantome » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:32 am

fantome Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:32 am
i would say it is not possible at the current state of things. But if you find a way, please post the result of your investigation here, because i would also be interested.
biased renderer are really more convenient for this kind of task. With octane like you mention i solve the issue in comp.
fantome
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Houdini