Instance export to ORBX

Forums: Instance export to ORBX
Houdini Integrated Plugin

Moderator: juanjgon

Instance export to ORBX

Postby spectacle » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:18 am

spectacle Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:18 am
Thanks for the great plugin. :) I noticed that I can instance and render particles no problem inside the Houdini plugin, but once I try to export to .orbx it takes an unworkable amount of time. I have scenes with millions of particles. Is this something that can be fixed in the future or is it a limitation of using Alembic for export?
-
Dave
spectacle
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Instance export to ORBX

Postby juanjgon » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:00 pm

juanjgon Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:00 pm
I think that this problem comes from the fact that you are trying to store a huge amount of information, in this case, millions of particles, inside a single animated .orbx file. Probably the file is becoming really large and hard to update while exporting the information. What happens if you export a single frame or a small frame range?

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby spectacle » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:24 am

spectacle Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:24 am
Hi Juanjo,

Yeah if I export an orbx with a small amount of particles it's fine. But the export time gets unworkable when I'm using the amount of particles I want to render. It renders fine as an image sequence from the plugin. But ideally I'd be able to export to orbx for RNDR. etc. Is this something that could ever be fixed, or is it just a limitation of the .orbx workflow?

Thanks!
spectacle
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:59 pm

juanjgon Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:59 pm
I think that this is a physical limitation while working with huge files. As far as I know, the proxy scenes of all other renderers are not animated, exporting a single file for each frame, probably because they are also facing this kind of problem. A multi-frame file from a production level scene could need to store hundreds of GB into a single file, so opening it to add the next frame can be a nightmare for both the renderer and the file system.

Are you exporting the file to a local SSD disk or to a network drive? Maybe exporting large .orbx files to a fast local drive could help.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Houdini