Spectron Gobo HDA

Forums: Spectron Gobo HDA
Houdini Integrated Plugin

Moderator: juanjgon

Spectron Gobo HDA

Postby trogers » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:21 am

trogers Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:21 am
Hi Juanjo,

I modified the Spectron light HDA to include gobo functionality in Octane 2020.1.4. I have the gobo saved in my Houdini home directory's otls folder. As I'm now running H18.5 and Octane 2020.1.5.1 I'm wondering if I need to port anything over to update this HDA.

I'm assuming that the Spectron Volumetric Spotlight, Spectron Quad and Spectron Sphere nodes within Octane Spectron > light_shader are all going to be sourced from the currently installed Octane build and not from within the saved HDA itself. So that they're basically updated with the installation of a new Octane plugin and as a result I shouldn't need to update anything given that nothing seems to have changed with the Spectron HDA network otherwise. Can you confirm this? If this is the case it will save me trouble in re-adapting this HDA for future builds. The HDA is attached.

Finally, out of curiosity, how is the Spectron light meant to be connected with OSL to enable gobo functionality? I built this HDA after watching a GTC presentation where Jules mentioned something about connecting Spectron and OSL to enable gobo light projection, but couldn't figure it out and the only post inquiring about it on this forum site was never answered.

Thanks in advance,
Travis
Attachments
octane_spectron_gobo.zip
(29.62 KiB) Downloaded 153 times
Win 10 / AMD 3970x / Nvidia 4090 + 2080 Ti / 128GB
trogers
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Spectron Gobo HDA

Postby juanjgon » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:32 pm

juanjgon Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:32 pm
Hi,

I suppose that your HDA should work across all the Houdini and Octane version unless something changes in the Octane core. If there no updates in the HDAs included with the plugging, your HDA should be fine.

To be honest, I don't know the answer to your second question. If you check the spectron light HDA, you could see that there is an OSL node to manage the spotlight emission distribution. I suppose that something like that could be used to render other effects.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby trogers » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:17 am

trogers Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:17 am
Thanks Juanjo, I appreciate info. I’ll look into the OSL node out of curiosity, but am happy that the solution I will cover this base for now.

Best / Travis
Win 10 / AMD 3970x / Nvidia 4090 + 2080 Ti / 128GB
trogers
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Terryvfx » Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:29 am

Terryvfx Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:29 am
Thank you for sharing your HDA trogers, I was also thinking on doing some modifications to some of the UI elements, I'm glad I found this.
Terryvfx
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Houdini