How to use Additional.xyz grid in Volumes tab

Forums: How to use Additional.xyz grid in Volumes tab
Houdini Integrated Plugin

Moderator: juanjgon

How to use Additional.xyz grid in Volumes tab

Postby ziconic » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:46 pm

ziconic Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:46 pm
The Volumes tab lets you specify Additional.x/Additional.y/Additional.z grids to be assigned as Absorption/Scattering/Emission. Does anyone know how these are intended to be used and how they are different from specifying the grid names directly? I don't see these options in the docs (for any plugin) or in the Standalone app, and it's confusing that they let you specify a vector input for Absorption/Scattering/Emission considering that the Volume Medium only works with float values for these quantities.

It would be great if Volume Medium supported vector Absorption/Scattering grids for rendering colored smoke, but as far as I can tell, this doesn't work even when using the Additional.xyz grids.
ziconic
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: How to use Additional.xyz grid in Volumes tab

Postby juanjgon » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:18 am

juanjgon Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:18 am
The additional grids is a custom feature added after a request from a studio that needed to render the velocity grids for a scientific visualization project.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby ziconic » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:31 pm

ziconic Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:31 pm
Thanks for the reply. Do you happen to know if the rest of us can benefit from this custom feature too? In other words, is there a way to read vector data in the volume shader and do something with it?
ziconic
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:29 am

juanjgon Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:29 am
I'm not sure, to be honest. The only useful task for this feature was rendering the velocity or other vector data grids from scientific simulations, but I'm not sure if there are other projects where this feature could be useful.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Houdini