Cannot render volume - CUDA ERROR 2 : OUt of memory

Forums: Cannot render volume - CUDA ERROR 2 : OUt of memory
Houdini Integrated Plugin

Moderator: juanjgon

Cannot render volume - CUDA ERROR 2 : OUt of memory

Postby davidyannick_1 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:14 pm

davidyannick_1 Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:14 pm
I've tried to render this scene : here is the volume I try to render https://www.dropbox.com/t/qFrwQvfoaMoWnxfm

With Redshift Rendered in 50s - VRAM used : 10Go RAM used 20Go
With Octane ; C VRAM : VRAM Used :UDA ERROR 2 not enough memory

My setup

Windows 10 2004 + Nvidia studio drivers 451.48
i7 8700k
RAM : 64Go
1x1080Ti

Houdini indie 18.0.499
Octane 2020.1.3
Octane plugin 2020.1.3.0

Any idea ?

Thanks
Attachments
Annotation 2020-06-29 160506.png
davidyannick_1
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Cannot render volume - CUDA ERROR 2 : OUt of memory

Postby juanjgon » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:10 pm

juanjgon Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:10 pm
Hi,

Sorry, it seems that this volume object is too complex for Octane probably because it doesn't fit your available GPU RAM or in the amount of data that Octane can handle in a single object. I'm not sure if Octane can go out of core with the volumes data, but you could try to enable this feature in the plugin options panel to check if it helps.

Have you tried to render this object from an OpenVDB file? Octane can load these files at the render time, so perhaps this could help in both the rendering and the scene extraction time and memory usage.

It could also help if you delete the velocity grids, in case you are not going to use them. They take a lot of GPU RAM space. In fact, here I can render the volume without problems after removing the velocity grids.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: Cannot render volume - CUDA ERROR 2 : OUt of memory

Postby davidyannick_1 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:25 pm

davidyannick_1 Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:25 pm
juanjgon wrote:Hi,

Sorry, it seems that this volume object is too complex for Octane probably because it doesn't fit your available GPU RAM or in the amount of data that Octane can handle in a single object. I'm not sure if Octane can go out of core with the volumes data, but you could try to enable this feature in the plugin options panel to check if it helps.

Have you tried to render this object from an OpenVDB file? Octane can load these files at the render time, so perhaps this could help in both the rendering and the scene extraction time and memory usage.

It could also help if you delete the velocity grids, in case you are not going to use them. They take a lot of GPU RAM space. In fact, here I can render the volume without problems after removing the velocity grids.

Thanks,
-Juanjo

I've deleted velocity grids it works
thanks for the advices
davidyannick_1
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Houdini