Vectron Transform

Forums: Vectron Transform
Houdini Integrated Plugin

Moderator: juanjgon

Vectron Transform

Postby k3xx » Thu May 14, 2020 6:14 pm

k3xx Thu May 14, 2020 6:14 pm
Hello,

I'm putting together a vectron osl library in houdini for a project but I hit a roadblock.

In standalone one can simply use the 'placement' node to transform geometry generated by vectron but in houdini there is no such node. Seems to be such a trivial thing but can't find anything that works.

Of course I could just move the obj which has the vectron on it but what if I want to transform two objects before doing a boolean operation on them? I could have all of the code in one osl node for all geos, transforms, booleans, etc... but that defeats the purpose of a node system.

I could write such a node but I would need a volume sample function for that which I can't find either. Is there a list of functions somewhere? I was searching for information for weeks but can't find anything comprehensive, just bits and pieces of information here and there.

Any help would be really appreciated!
k3xx
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Vectron Transform

Postby juanjgon » Sun May 17, 2020 9:47 am

juanjgon Sun May 17, 2020 9:47 am
Hmm, nope, sorry. The placement node is not a shader node, so it can't work in the current Houdini plugin shader graphs. Perhaps you could add the transformation directly inside the OSL code, exposing it as a transform pin.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby k3xx » Wed May 20, 2020 3:22 pm

k3xx Wed May 20, 2020 3:22 pm
Okay, thank you for the help!

I can only add the transform pin to the OSL node which generates the geometry? Not to one that is importing it trough an SDF pin?

If I understand correctly every iteration of the code only reads the the SDF at one given position and that position can't be changed, and there is no volume sample function which could pull data from a different position right?
k3xx
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Thu May 21, 2020 10:16 am

juanjgon Thu May 21, 2020 10:16 am
I'm not sure about the internals of all this stuff, to be honest. If you have found limitations related to the placement node or other nodes not supported inside the Houdini plugin VOPs architecture, have you thought about building these volume objects in standalone to later export them as .orbx proxy objects that could be used in any DCC, including the Houdini plugin?

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby k3xx » Tue May 26, 2020 11:05 am

k3xx Tue May 26, 2020 11:05 am
I will look into that option. Thank you for the help.
k3xx
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Houdini