Triplanar Texture Sliding

Forums: Triplanar Texture Sliding
Houdini Integrated Plugin

Moderator: juanjgon

Triplanar Texture Sliding

Postby lpgraphix » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:08 pm

lpgraphix Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:08 pm
Hello,

I'm having an issues where my triplanar textures swim on moving objects. I have the texture space set to "Object" mode, but when rendering they still slide around. I saw an old thread for the 3DS Max plugin where there was some sort of "moveable proxy" switch that solves this problem. Is there a similarly easy checkbox that I'm missing in Houdini?

Thanks,

Luke
lpgraphix
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Triplanar Texture Sliding

Postby juanjgon » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:33 pm

juanjgon Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:33 pm
How are you animating the object? If you animate it at the OBJ level the texture should be fixed to the object, but if you are animating it at the SOP level, you are deforming the base mesh, so even the object space makes no sense. In this case, probably you could need a UV map as a guide for the triplanar, but I'm not sure.

If you want to share the scene, I could take a look at it here.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby lpgraphix » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:52 pm

lpgraphix Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:52 pm
It's an animated alembic undergoing a disintegration effect. At some points it's just the undeformed alembic that's supposed to render, though, (controlled via a switch SOP) so I would think that at least during those frames it wouldn't swim. I'll test with applying a UV map, can I do that with just the UV quickshade..? Unfortunately I can't this share this file, I know that makes it difficult to debug so hopefully the UVs work.

Thanks for the help!
lpgraphix
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby lpgraphix » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:11 pm

lpgraphix Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:11 pm
As an update there were other problems in the animation as well. When I separated the two paths into unique objects and used display animation instead of a switch SOP, all of my shading errors on the undeformed alembic were resolved. Still working on corrected the deforming mesh, but my suspicion is a UV projection will do the trick.

In redshift there is a way to store a texture state based on a certain frame to prevent triplanar swimming? Are there any similar functions in Octane or does it do something like that automatically when there are UVs available?
lpgraphix
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:24 pm

juanjgon Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:24 pm
You are talking about the "rest" position attribute support, but I'm afraid that Octane doesn't have this feature yet.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Kvothe » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:33 pm

Kvothe Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:33 pm
juanjgon wrote:You are talking about the "rest" position attribute support, but I'm afraid that Octane doesn't have this feature yet.

Also, how dedicated is Octane to being feature rich for Houdini specifically?

Thanks,
-Juanjo

Has it been added now? Also is there a list of updates to Octane for Houdini I could look at?

Thanks!
Kvothe
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:05 am

juanjgon Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:05 am
Nope, sorry, the rest position is not supported yet. I've sent this feature request to the core devs, so I hope that it could be supported in the future.

About the plugin release notes, you have them in the plugin directory, inside the "docs" folder.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Kvothe » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:22 pm

Kvothe Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:22 pm
juanjgon wrote:Nope, sorry, the rest position is not supported yet. I've sent this feature request to the core devs, so I hope that it could be supported in the future.

About the plugin release notes, you have them in the plugin directory, inside the "docs" folder.

Thanks,
-Juanjo

Thank you!
Kvothe
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Fake Pilot » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:59 am

Fake Pilot Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:59 am
Did this trick while using Redshift. Now, I was doing it with Octane. There must be a way? Triplanar feels useless without using a rest position?
Like, triplanar only works for non-animated objects?
Work machine: Utopia Computers, 4 x GTX 1080 Ti 11GB, 128GB RAM, 10-Core 3.0Ghz Intel Core i7-6950X, Windows 10 Pro.
Home machine: Komplett Xtreme i100, 3 x GTX Titan X 12GB. 32 GB RAM. 8-Core 3.0Ghz Intel Core i7 -5960X. Windows 10 Pro.
Fake Pilot
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:58 pm

juanjgon Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:58 pm
Have you tried to add an arbitrary UV map to the object? Octane could use it as a reference in animated meshes.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Next

Return to Houdini