Triplanar with Displacement Map

Forums: Triplanar with Displacement Map
Houdini Integrated Plugin

Moderator: juanjgon

Triplanar with Displacement Map

Postby edan_lusion » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:26 am

edan_lusion Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:26 am
I do understand that the triplanar node rely on the world/object space position and displacement map alter the position, hence we wont be able to use triplanar map for displacement. (I guess it is the case)

I am trying to do a pre-triplanar solution that I calculate the triplanar blend weights and xyz axis uv assignments in Vex and passing the information through the new attribute solution. However, it still doesn't work. It looks like the vertex(point) attribute reading node is executed after the displacement node...

Is there any workable solution?
edan_lusion
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Triplanar with Displacement Map

Postby edan_lusion » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:09 am

edan_lusion Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:09 am
I also tried setting the triplanar blend weight into the w value in the uvw and use the transform node to get the w value by using the good old gradient texture solution. But it looks like the w contains nothing in Octane.
edan_lusion
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Triplanar with Displacement Map

Postby juanjgon » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:01 pm

juanjgon Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:01 pm
Hi,

I'm not sure to understand your workflow, but if you are trying to use the "W Coordinate" node, be aware that it only works with the hair objects to get the hair length position. This node with the mesh objects makes no sense.

I suppose that the new displacement that will be available in Octane 2019.1 will resolve all the current issues with the limited displacement mapping options.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Houdini