How to set a correct portal light?

Forums: How to set a correct portal light?
Houdini Integrated Plugin

Moderator: juanjgon

How to set a correct portal light?

Postby Edison_1 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:35 pm

Edison_1 Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:35 pm
Hello,

I have a troble with rendering interior scene.
I set all of interior light as portal material, but It doesn't work correctly.
01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

Greetings,
Edsion
Edison_1
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: How to set a correct portal light?

Postby juanjgon » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:45 pm

juanjgon Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:45 pm
Hi,

Sorry, I'm not sure what could be the problem, but have you checked the portal lights documentation?
https://docs.otoy.com/StandaloneH_STA/S ... ortals.htm

In short: To set up a scene using Portal Materials it is important to make sure that every window or opening in the environment is covered by a portal plane. It will not work if only one window has a portal over it when all other windows do not have a portal over them. And the normal direction of the portal plane should be facing inwards towards the interior or the scene will not render properly. Portal planes should not be blocked by other geometry such as a glass surface. Objects with the Portal material applied will not be visible in the rendering as geometry.

Also, be aware that the Portal Material option should be used with the Pathtracing and PMC kernels, it will not work when rendering with the Direct Light kernel.

Hope it helps,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Edison_1 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:08 am

Edison_1 Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:08 am
juanjgon wrote:Hi,

Sorry, I'm not sure what could be the problem, but have you checked the portal lights documentation?
https://docs.otoy.com/StandaloneH_STA/S ... ortals.htm

In short: To set up a scene using Portal Materials it is important to make sure that every window or opening in the environment is covered by a portal plane. It will not work if only one window has a portal over it when all other windows do not have a portal over them. And the normal direction of the portal plane should be facing inwards towards the interior or the scene will not render properly. Portal planes should not be blocked by other geometry such as a glass surface. Objects with the Portal material applied will not be visible in the rendering as geometry.

Also, be aware that the Portal Material option should be used with the Pathtracing and PMC kernels, it will not work when rendering with the Direct Light kernel.

Hope it helps,
-Juanjo

hello,

your meaning is every windowns need to be covered by portal geometry?
how to arrange my portal in my scene?(see the picture)
Snipaste_2019-03-12_11-06-24.png
Edison_1
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:49 pm

juanjgon Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:49 pm
Hmm, the main problem can be that you can't have a glass object in the window. The portal lights only work on open holes, so they should not be blocked by other geometry such as a glass surface.

You should start with a simple scene (for example a box room with only one window) to see if you can make the portal light work, to later try to configure your complex scene, but in any case if you want to send me an example scene with your lighting setup I could take a look at it here.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby roeland » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:15 am

roeland Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:15 am
You can have glass but it must have the fake shadow option enabled.

Portals do not have an effect if your entire room is surrounded by portal geometry. It has effect only if light from the environment is coming in from a small amount of windows, these windows should then be covered with portal geometry.
roeland
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Edison_1 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:46 am

Edison_1 Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:46 am
Thanks for your answers,
I had tested the portal light setting. whether in this or test scenes.,It's worked. I see the boundary at the location of portal light , I think I need to incease my sample to decrease noise...

Best regards,
Edison.
Edison_1
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:55 am

juanjgon Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:55 am
roeland wrote:You can have glass but it must have the fake shadow option enabled.

Ah, Thanks! I didn't know that ;)

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Houdini