Out of memory

Forums: Out of memory
Houdini Integrated Plugin

Moderator: juanjgon

Out of memory

Postby reelinspirations » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:40 pm

reelinspirations Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:40 pm
Hi,

Not sure if it's how I set my project up, but I have received an 'out of memory' error and I have 2 GPUs.
Titan X Pascal and a 1080ti

I have some particles being generated and I'm using a COPY TO POINTS sop to copy some small, 'mountained' spheres to those points.
Houdini says it's 18 million polygons and when I bypass this part of my project it renders fine so I'm thinking Octane is having a difficult time with that many polys.

Any ideas on my issue?

I guess I could just use a material with a little displacement and render the particles as spheres in Octane.

Thanks,

Jim
reelinspirations

Re: Out of memory

Postby juanjgon » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:15 pm

juanjgon Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:15 pm
Hi,

Your scene can be producing a lot of geometry at extraction time. Be aware that the Copy SOP is not building Octane instances, it builds real geometry from the base object, so it is not a good idea at all use the Copy SOP to instance a lot of complex objects. You should try to use the conventional instancing using the Instance OBJ node or the "instance" point attribute.

Of course, also if possible the best solution is to use the Octane native particles.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: Out of memory

Postby reelinspirations » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:51 pm

reelinspirations Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:51 pm
Instancing fixed the issue. I could not use Octane particles as the objects are small rocks that have displacement.
Still learning...
reelinspirations

Return to Houdini