well i think this answer my question viewtopic.php?f=101&t=63452
so no octane can't read uv attribute at point level to bypass, the attribute access restriction.
it can however shade root and tips by using Tool W Coordinate.
this whole attribute blindness of octane to geo att is really a real pita for houdini users.
i'm also afraid like mention in the post that the osl texture support won't help in that case.
It's kinda the never ending story for me , because i've replace Maxwell by Octane,
having spend a lot of time trying to get this feature with maxwell devs and it has never become a reality.
after testing, we can sucessfully shade tip and root base from texture, so that's great, i have attach a small exemple.
at the end:
- we can use Cd on a curves at prim level
- we can shade a curve with a ramp with the tool W coordinate
- we can shade root and tip base on texture with a mix texture combine with a tool W coordinate
- we can bake Cd attribute on a geo to a texture map to access them throw texture
That cover nearly all the scenarios, so that's a far better experience than Maxwell plugin for houdini.
the only scenario which is not covered is to
- rendered Cd attributes on a curves at point level.
but we can bypass this by using a polywire and the uv to attribute tricks bu using a ramp
Not perfect but still good enough !
I cross my fingers for att support natively in the 3.09...