How to export ORBX?

Forums: How to export ORBX?
Houdini Integrated Plugin

Moderator: juanjgon

Re: How to export ORBX?

Postby HMXMedia » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:17 pm

HMXMedia Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:17 pm
juanjgon wrote:Hi,

The next Octane 2020.0 plugin build will add the support of mesh and hair objects with a non-constant topology while rendering or exporting sequences in update mode. This should help while exporting these kinds of scenes that only could be rendered in full scene reload mode before.

Thanks,
-Juanjo

Wow I've just tried it , that's great!

Thank you
HMXMedia
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Fake Pilot » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:21 am

Fake Pilot Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:21 am
Wow I've just tried it , that's great!

How? Where? What? Please tell me how, I'm still stuck with trying to get my animation to work with ORBX export..
Work machine: Utopia Computers, 4 x GTX 1080 Ti 11GB, 128GB RAM, 10-Core 3.0Ghz Intel Core i7-6950X, Windows 10 Pro.
Home machine: Komplett Xtreme i100, 3 x GTX Titan X 12GB. 32 GB RAM. 8-Core 3.0Ghz Intel Core i7 -5960X. Windows 10 Pro.
Fake Pilot
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby lamloops » Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:59 am

lamloops Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:59 am
Hi gang

Apologies for digging up an old thread, but like the OP from five years ago I can't seem to get the orbx file to appear. I've tried with and without an extension and I'm using a file path in the 'Base file name' box in the Archive tab. I've set the rendering mode to Update Scene, and it was on by default and not working. I tried switching to Full Reload and render and then switching back, but that didn't work either. Is there something that I'm doing wrong, or another parameter that I need to change? I can see the alembic is being created in a folder but no orbx.

Warm Regards
lamloops
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:38 am

juanjgon Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:38 am
lamloops wrote:Hi gang

Apologies for digging up an old thread, but like the OP from five years ago I can't seem to get the orbx file to appear. I've tried with and without an extension and I'm using a file path in the 'Base file name' box in the Archive tab. I've set the rendering mode to Update Scene, and it was on by default and not working. I tried switching to Full Reload and render and then switching back, but that didn't work either. Is there something that I'm doing wrong, or another parameter that I need to change? I can see the alembic is being created in a folder but no orbx.

Warm Regards

Can you please share your scene to take a look at it here? In update scene mode the .orbx file should be created, but perhaps there is something not supported in your scene.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby lamloops » Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:10 pm

lamloops Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:10 pm
Hi Juanjo!

I hope dropbox links are okay; the hiplc file extension isnt allowed. Link
lamloops
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby thanulee » Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:27 pm

thanulee Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:27 pm
Jumping in this thread. ORBX is so freaking amazing I just imported millions of particles in c4d with Cd/pscale, so so happy!

One thing, it exported every time (while couldn't replace an existing file) but kept popping this error.
I'm new in H so I might have done something wrong in my setup so here is also a scene:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nh7i1cs46acux ... hiplc?dl=0

Thanks!
Attachments
houdini_2022-04-12_23-10-56.png
thanulee
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby james_conkle » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:52 pm

james_conkle Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:52 pm
I tried Thanulee's scene and after I cached the scene and removed the HDRI it exported the ORBX without error... until I tried to export an ORBX again with a new filename. Then I got the same error but the error referenced the name of the previous ORBX. This goes away when I quit Houdini and load the scene again.

Feels like it's expecting to render the ORBX with the same name if one was rendered during the same Houdini session.

I was able to successfully open these ORBX in standalone even if they had the error in Houdini.
Octane C4D Plugin 2021.1 / C4D R25.015
UNIT 0: 2080ti / 6700K / 64GB / 500w
UNIT 1: 2x 3090 / 3970x / 128GB ECC / 1600w
UNIT 2: 5500M / 9980HK / 32GB / 95w
RNDR Artist Calculator
james_conkle
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby lamloops » Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:51 pm

lamloops Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:51 pm
Hi Juanjo!

lamloops wrote:
Hi gang

Warm Regards

Can you please share your scene to take a look at it here? In update scene mode the .orbx file should be created, but perhaps there is something not supported in your scene.

Thanks,
-Juanjo

ORBX files are also not showing up for me in Cinema 4D. Pic of the error is attached.

Here's the C4D project. Link

Could it possibly have to do with moving Octane's AppData/Local/Roaming folder to a different location? Or maybe could it be a license issue? I just got an enterprise license, but my studio license hasn't expired yet.
Attachments
octane c4d orbx export error.png
standalone opening attempt.png
standalone opening attempt.png (6.71 KiB) Viewed 1607 times
lamloops
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby lamloops » Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:40 pm

lamloops Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:40 pm
lamloops wrote:
Hi Juanjo!

Thanks,
-Juanjo

Found a solution for this strange problem.

1. make sure the folder you are exporting to is completely empty
2. if that doesn't work, create a new octane ROP fresh, with new settings
3. if those dont work, try setting Houdini's render frame range to start at 2
lamloops
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Houdini