How to export ORBX?

Forums: How to export ORBX?
Houdini Integrated Plugin

Moderator: juanjgon

How to export ORBX?

Postby FahadA92 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:41 am

FahadA92 Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:41 am
Hello,

I'm trying to export ORBX archive but it's not working. I remember making it work a while ago but I can't remember how. I tried putting absloute file path with .orbx extension, without the extension, and also tried leaving the default export_file but in all of them, the plugin renders the scene but no orbx is there.

Thank you.
Windows 8.1, GTX 970 EVGA SC, i7 4790k, 32GB RAM
FahadA92
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: How to export ORBX?

Postby juanjgon » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:39 am

juanjgon Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:39 am
Hi,

You must configure the render mode to "update scene". Currently, the plugin can't export .orbx scenes if the render is configured as "full scene reload".

Anyway, one planned feature for a future release is fixing this issue and update the export function to write one .orbx file for each frame if the ROP is configured in full scene reload mode.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby FahadA92 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:06 pm

FahadA92 Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:06 pm
Hello,

switching from "full scene reload" to "update scene" did fix it. However, when only using update scene, my .bgeo.sc file sequence isn't being updated. I have this problem with multiple scenes. the .bgeo.sc seq. is contains polygon objs.
Windows 8.1, GTX 970 EVGA SC, i7 4790k, 32GB RAM
FahadA92
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:15 pm

juanjgon Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:15 pm
Yes, this is the problem. A single .orbx file currently can't hold object sequences that have completely new topology for each frame, forcing a full scene reload.

This is why I want to work improving this feature. Probably adding a new feature to export the scene to multiple .orbx files, one for each frame, is going to be the only solution to export this kind of scenes to .orxb files. Perhaps now can be even possible make the same using a script.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby HMXMedia » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:47 am

HMXMedia Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:47 am
Hello,
I am curious, Is this working in the latest versions?
Thanks,
HMXMedia
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:01 pm

juanjgon Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:01 pm
Hi,

Nothing has changed yet in how the plugin exports the .orbx files. If you are exporting a scene that can be updated, all should work fine, if not (if the scene must be rendered in full scene reload mode), you could use a script to export a .orbx file for each frame, rendering the scene frame by frame.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Eric67glurp » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:04 am

Eric67glurp Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:04 am
hello,
I have a Houdini indie license and the octane pluguin.
To render a panorama, (still image 4096*2048) I wanted to go through your services. ORC

Apparently this is not possible because of the Houdini indie license :
"The scene export function are disabled due to the houdini indie licencse restrictions"

I haven't read this type of restriction anywhere. Locally I can make this type of format without any problem... :(
I don't understand this limitation for the cloud . Do you have a solution ?

kind regards
Eric67glurp
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby HMXMedia » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:06 am

HMXMedia Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:06 am
Hi,
Most of our scenes (if not all of them) requires a full scene reload. Would it be possible to have the export fixed please?
it's very important to us to get a scalable workflow, as our renderfarm uses Octane Standalone.

Thanks!
HMXMedia
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:17 am

juanjgon Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:17 am
Eric67glurp wrote:hello,
I have a Houdini indie license and the octane pluguin.
To render a panorama, (still image 4096*2048) I wanted to go through your services. ORC

Apparently this is not possible because of the Houdini indie license :
"The scene export function are disabled due to the houdini indie licencse restrictions"

I haven't read this type of restriction anywhere. Locally I can make this type of format without any problem... :(
I don't understand this limitation for the cloud . Do you have a solution ?

kind regards

Hi,

Sorry, somehow I had not seen this post. This restriction is part of the agreement signed with SideFX to allow that our plugin could work in Houdini Indie. The rendering resolution while rendering sequences must be limited (now to 4k) and any kind of scene export function must be disabled. Exporting scenes to the cloud is also an export scene function, so it must be disabled in the plugin while working on the Indie version.

We have this information in all the forum release topic notes and on the website, even on the purchase page. Sorry about that.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
Attachments
2018_11_20-11_15_43.jpg
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby juanjgon » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:55 am

juanjgon Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:55 am
HMXMedia wrote:Hi,
Most of our scenes (if not all of them) requires a full scene reload. Would it be possible to have the export fixed please?
it's very important to us to get a scalable workflow, as our renderfarm uses Octane Standalone.

Thanks!

Hi,

If the scene can't be updated, it can't be stored in a single .orbx file. You must export a .orbx file for each frame. This is something that can be done now easily using a script.

For example, you can leave the ROP node in "Render Current Frame" mode and configured to export the .orbx files, and execute this hython code to export to .orbx files the frames 1 to 50:

Code: Select all
for n in range (1, 50):
    hou.setFrame(n)
    hou.node("/out/Octane_ROP1").render()

Hope it helps,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Next

Return to Houdini