Multi-Pass Layered Render with shadows

Forums: Multi-Pass Layered Render with shadows
Houdini Integrated Plugin

Moderator: juanjgon

Multi-Pass Layered Render with shadows

Postby reelinspirations » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:38 am

reelinspirations Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:38 am
Hi,

I have tried several times to get my shadows rendered in a separate EXR layer but am not able to get it working.

I have a rock sitting on a grid for a 'shadow catcher' and I have the shadow portion working.

But I get a white image for the shadows.

I need to be able to control my shadow density in AE to match the scene, but I'm not having any luck.

I have Shadows and Black shadows checked under the Passes tab on the Render Target as well as Diffuse under the Beauty pass tab.
I have the Matte option checked on my Octane Diffuse shader for the ground plane (grid).

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Jim
reelinspirations

Re: Multi-Pass Layered Render with shadows

Postby juanjgon » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:37 pm

juanjgon Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:37 pm
Can you please attach the sample scene to test it here? I suppose that to get the shadows you must set the objects that cast shadows in one layer, and the objects to receive the shadows in another layer, rendering the two layers to get the shadows information ... anyway I'm not an expert in compositing, so it is better check your scene to see what can be done.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby reelinspirations » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:03 am

reelinspirations Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:03 am
Here is my Shadow Project, there is a background 'plate' that I have show up in the camera, but it's not needed for this project to work.

I have a work-around in this project, but I'd rather use the Open EXR Multi-Layer file instead if possible. Just a cleaner solution.

Thanks,

Jim
Attachments
shadow_project.zip
(733.89 KiB) Downloaded 234 times
reelinspirations

Postby noisyboyuk » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:48 pm

noisyboyuk Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:48 pm
reelinspirations wrote:Here is my Shadow Project, there is a background 'plate' that I have show up in the camera, but it's not needed for this project to work.

I have a work-around in this project, but I'd rather use the Open EXR Multi-Layer file instead if possible. Just a cleaner solution.

Thanks,

Jim

I have brought up the same issue. When I export a multi-layer EXR, the shadows seem to appear fine in the picture viewer of Cinema 4D (not Houdini). However when I bring that into After Effects and use EXtractoR the shadow channel is just white with no shadows. I've been told that shadows are working fine but I still can't get it to work. It does seem to work fine with separate EXRs but of course Multi-Layer EXR's would be much a much tidier workflow.
noisyboyuk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Houdini