Some questions about a newbie in Houdini

Forums: Some questions about a newbie in Houdini
Houdini Integrated Plugin

Moderator: juanjgon

Some questions about a newbie in Houdini

Postby vipvip » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:33 am

vipvip Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:33 am
Hi everybody,

doing now the big jump from Lightwave to Houdini, i'm very pleased to join the Octane/houdini community et particulary very pleased to follow a plugin developped by Juan, the stratospheric octane-plugin developer :) !

So, i've a few questions about the last relesase (3.05.3.0) :

(1) drag & drop of an octane VOPNET material directly on a geometry is apprently not possible (but works with other materials ) : is it normal ?

(2) is it possible to render effect like melting objects with a polygonal method ( continuous surfaces) (i succeed in renddering it only with particle-spheres, with octane)

(3) is there a way to render oceans with octane ?

(4) i tried to follow strictly the second part of this tutorial (cloudy object) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWuAndUk3o0 (cloud objects) , but it doesn't work : is there any changes in the plugin dev. about this problem (as there is no more volume settings in the renderkernel tab) ?

(5) i still have big problem to render luminous/colored volumetrics fire/explosions (actually it renders only smoke, even if i plug emission-node and try different values on scattering in the octane-volume-node)

Thank you for your potential future answers

best regards
Last edited by vipvip on Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:02 am, edited 4 times in total.
vipvip
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Some questions about a newbie in Houdini

Postby vipvip » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:02 am

vipvip Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:02 am
I forgot one important point : is it possibble to assign keyboard shotcuts to the IPR functions (specialy the 'reload' one ) ? because actualy, i can assign shortcuts only on the octane icons functions...
vipvip
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:03 pm

juanjgon Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:03 pm
Hi,

The drag-drop feature in the Octane vopnet nodes doesn't work due to a limitation in Houdini. The material HDAs work, but not the vopnets.

You can render any mesh with Octane, like melting things. The only limitation is that in these cases you must render the scene in "Full Scene Reload" mode because these objects don't have a constant topology between the frames.

To render the Houdini oceans you could try to export the oceans displacement map sequences and use them with Octane, but there isn't a direct way to render them.

Below you have some tutorials about the volumetric rendering that could help:
https://vimeo.com/185212957
https://vimeo.com/202170617
https://vimeo.com/154676990

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby juanjgon » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:06 pm

juanjgon Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:06 pm
vipvip wrote:I forgot one important point : is it possibble to assign keyboard shotcuts to the IPR functions (specialy the 'reload' one ) ? because actualy, i can assign shortcuts only on the octane icons functions...

The same "Octane_openIPR" command will reload the scene if you execute it with the IPR already opened. Anyway yes, I should add some more commands to control the IPR from scripts or shortcuts.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby vipvip » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:49 am

vipvip Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:49 am
thanks a lot, Juan
vipvip
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer