Houdini Integrated Plugin

Moderator: juanjgon

TBaker - Digital asset. Render Cd attribute in Octane

Postby Evgen » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:16 pm

Evgen Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:16 pm
TBaker - Bake animated point color attribute to texture
Final_promo.jpg

Dear Octane users.
I proudly present little research to simplify Octane user's life in Houdini.
As you know, according limitations of Octane, you can't directly render color attribute in Octane at this moment. I really hope that it will be fixed in future by Otoy.
However, I made digital asset which allows render point color information in Octane or any other software just using animated baked texture and geometry with modified UV-coords!
You can render Cd attribute in 3dsmax, Cinema or any other software!
Examples included.
This is quite simple and useful tool.
Please take a look attached screenshots:
screenshoot_01.png

Interface
screenshoot_02.png

screenshoot_03.png

Example HIP-file with comments and guides

You can get it at Gumroad page https://gumroad.com/l/AQeQQ#
I plan to develop this asset on future and deliver latest versions to public as soon as possible.
Under the hood:
    TBaker grabs point color information, saves it as PNG or any other format and modifies UV-coordinates on geometry for using the texture.
    TBaker is VEX-based and extremely fast for baking thousand of points to textures.
    TBaker supports single point color information and solid mesh color information

I really hope that my tool will be useful for you and will save a lot of time in your pipeline!
Personally, I spent at least 3 days for creating this production-ready tool
Looking forward on your comment and suggestions.

Thank you and have a good renders with Octane!
Evgen
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: TBaker - Digital asset. Render Cd attribute in Octane

Postby tigher » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:43 am

tigher Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:43 am
Came to the forum to write a post asking about using Cd attribute in Octane but I see the thread has been started. I too very much wish that the use of the surface and displacement globals from the vop material will soon be able to be directly used with octane in Houdini. I found that I was not even able to use the parameter node to set anything in the octane network. This is absolutely my number one ask for the next release.

Though nice to share Evgen, for any other users out there baking out pc,color,attrib maps to UV's is not worth spending money on, even if your values are greater than 0-1 just bake .exr's. There are many resources online that teach what he's selling for free. Look up baking wetmaps to UV's or pointclouds to UV's, Peter Quint has a solid tutorial I think.

All the best,

-T
tigher
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: TBaker - Digital asset. Render Cd attribute in Octane

Postby Evgen » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:10 pm

Evgen Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:10 pm
tigher,
Thank you for feedback.
I agree, in internet you can find a lot of tutorials, but I don't see any production ready-tools for doing the same.
You need to spend a time for repeat tutor and it is not so simple as many would like.
I think I will make this tool free soon.
Evgen
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Houdini