IsoSurface Volume not rendering

Forums: IsoSurface Volume not rendering
Houdini Integrated Plugin

Moderator: juanjgon

IsoSurface Volume not rendering

Postby HBHATTI » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:14 am

HBHATTI Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:14 am
So I made a spherical isosurface volume to create a planet atmosphere, set it to Octane Volumes, and then used an Octane Volume Medium as follows, but it is not showing up:
Help is appreciated and thank you
Attachments
Capture4.PNG
Capture3.PNG
Capture2.PNG
Capture.PNG
HBHATTI
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: IsoSurface Volume not rendering

Postby rohandalvi » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:39 am

rohandalvi Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:39 am
Did you give it a name. In the isooffset node you’ll have to name it density because the isooffset doesn’t do it automatically.
rohandalvi
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby HBHATTI » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:59 am

HBHATTI Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:59 am
Thank you Rohan that worked, naming the isooffset to density. I guess this is the only way currently to do atmospherics for now I am guessing. Now I have to figure out how to do a falloff from the surface haha. By the way I bought your Octane volumetric series, thank you so much they are very helpful.

Is renderman better for atmosphere volumetrics as opposed to octane? Man if you do a planet atmospherics tutorial for both octane and renderman I would buy it haha
HBHATTI
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rohandalvi » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:26 pm

rohandalvi Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:26 pm
Renderman isn't bad but it's weird to setup and it's slow. A lot slower than Octane because it's CPU only. And the volume shader is weirder than Octane. If you are looking at other renderers you can look into 3delight, it's free up to 12 cores so it's worth a shot. Redshift is worth looking into as well and Arnold. Arnold probably has the best looking shaders.

Planetary atmosphere has to built manually. There's no render engine that does it automatically unless you're using Unreal.

For a falloff from centre outwards, Create a sphere. Use a points from volume. Then create a gradient from the centre out, you can make one using an attribute transfer. Set your point color to black, keep a white object in the centre and transfer the color attribute and set the distance to fade out the color. Copy the color to an attribute called density. The use a node called "volume rasterize attribute" and type density. It will turn your points into a volume and use the density values on the points to set the density of the volume.
rohandalvi
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby HBHATTI » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:56 pm

HBHATTI Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:56 pm
Ok thank you will try to use this method, I also found another VEX/VolumeVOP based one also that uses relbbox
HBHATTI
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Houdini