Thanks for the reply.
The issue is ongoing.... as far as I know the calculator still gives incorrect estimates.
Your comment is also misleading about the type of support I received.... I figured out myself what was causing my estimates to be wrong (spent around $25 in credits doing so). Support did not respond in a timely manner (3-4 days is too long to wait for replies) and then also ignored details I provided in my emails.
As to what else you can do.... I would like you to either 1) provide us free credits for running estimates before each job 2) fix the calculator 3) make it clear on your calculator which types of jobs will cause estimates to be wrong.
I would also like to be refunded for the money I spent helping you debug the system, and maybe throw in a few extra credits for my trouble
But mainly I would like for support and communication to be improved. It is the only thing keeping me from being all in for octane/Otoy. This is meant as constructive criticism, and I truly hope it will improve.