Unit confusion: OB/hour

Forums: Unit confusion: OB/hour
Discussion forum for OctaneRender Cloud

Unit confusion: OB/hour

Postby baltort » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:43 pm

baltort Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:43 pm
There seems to be lots of confusion about the units used on ORC. I might be being pedantic about this, but I read OB/hour as OctaneBench PER hour. I think it should be Octane Bench Hours (perhaps written as OB.hours) since this is the value that represents actual computing effort and that is what cloud users are paying for.

Make sense?

James.
baltort
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Unit confusion: OB/hour

Postby Goldorak » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:35 pm

Goldorak Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:35 pm
baltort wrote:There seems to be lots of confusion about the units used on ORC. I might be being pedantic about this, but I read OB/hour as OctaneBench PER hour. I think it should be Octane Bench Hours (perhaps written as OB.hours) since this is the value that represents actual computing effort and that is what cloud users are paying for.

Make sense?

James.

OctaneBench is a measure of rendering speed (Sampled Rays/s) and multiplying this by time (e.g. 60 minutes) is the unit of work you are paying for on ORC.

if the job is scheduled for same day turnaround (the default), then a 1 hr job @ 1000 OB , pretty much is the same result/cost to the customer as a 4 hour job @ 250 OB - but internally we may use this shift to help load balance smaller jobs with much much bigger ones that come in that day (which may need hundreds or thousands of GPUs at once to get a job done in a day or less). If capacity is tight in any given day, priority is given to larger jobs in the order they come in, and results may be pushed out beyond a day (rare but possible). If we have high availability your render may get started and finished very quickly, much sooner than the default 1 day turnaround.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: Unit confusion: OB/hour

Postby baltort » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:01 am

baltort Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:01 am
Thanks, Goldorak.

Exactly my point!

The website and documentation keep referring to units labelled "OB/Hour" which is a measure of rendering speed DIVIDED by time. What you've just correctly described is rendering speed MULTIPLIED by time which should be measured in units called "OB.hours". The slash in the unit name appears to be incorrect and is causing lots of confusion.

A slash is read as "PER". For example, "m/s" is read as "metres per second". Speed is proportional to distance and inversely proportional to time.

On the other hand, Torque is measured in Nm or Newton Metres. This correctly implies that torque is directly proportional to both force and distance. Writing N/m makes no sense.

It's the same as buying energy at home. If I use either a 5 kiloWatt kettle for 2 hours or a 1 kiloWatt lightbulb for 10 hours, then I've bought 10 kiloWatt.Hours of energy, not 10 kilowatts/hour!

Cheers,

James.
baltort
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to OctaneRender Cloud