Issues with Octane Render Cloud

Forums: Issues with Octane Render Cloud
Discussion forum for OctaneRender Cloud

Issues with Octane Render Cloud

Postby ed_mciver » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:10 am

ed_mciver Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:10 am
Hi,

To start, I want to say I love Octane and its my first choice out of the render engines I use.

Saying that I am a little bit confused/disappointed so far with the OctaneRender Cloud, although I know its still in beta testing.

I uploaded a 25 second fly through of a kitchen thinking that it would be quite a quick turn around (the scene is pretty well optimised and the render settings are not to to taxing).

Not only did running the 'run estimate' use my 10 free credits (apparently 4 hours worth of render time), a cost of over $1000 (not really an issue), but even worse, it gave me a estimated render time of 35 days (please see attachment). To put it into context, it would of only taken a total of 3 days on my work machine to render the animation.

I'm using Cinema 4D and had exported an ORBX following the upload guide, I also uploaded a second ORBX from the standalone render. In the end It was quicker and half the price for me to re-light and texture the scene in C4D and send to a C4D render farm (granted it might not look as nice as the Octane render, but its still pretty close).

I was just wondering if this is normal, or has anyone else experienced this? Just thought I'd give you the heasds up incase it is a bug.

Many hanks

Ed
Attachments
IMG_0467.JPG
ed_mciver
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Issues with Octane Render Cloud

Postby fuzzybro » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:18 pm

fuzzybro Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:18 pm
Hi Ed,

We've carefully looked into your scenes and came tot conclusion that everything makes sense. Let me explain.

I uploaded a 25 second fly through of a kitchen thinking that it would be quite a quick turn around (the scene is pretty well optimised and the render settings are not to to taxing).

That scene has 750 frames with 1904x943 resolution and 2048 samples per pixel. Regardless of the optimization, that's still a pretty heavy job that has to be compiled and rendered 750 times.

Not only did running the 'run estimate' use my 10 free credits (apparently 4 hours worth of render time)

Running estimations on ORC involves performing actual rendering and it does cost money (but a very small amount). You've submitted 4 estimations of 750 frames jobs, that results in estimating 3000 frames with 1904x943 resolution. Estimations involve bandwidth, CPU and GPU time along with storage.
We plan to introduce price calculator very soon that would allow you to run couple test frames locally and then given the OctaneBench score of your machine calculate the ballpark price on ORC.

it gave me a estimated render time of 35 days (please see attachment). To put it into context, it would of only taken a total of 3 days on my work machine to render the animation.

Sorry about the confusion here, Estimated Time Usage should be read like "GPU hours" and it doesn't represent human time. This job could be rendered in 35 days on one render node or in 3.5 days on 10 render nodes. Be default we provide 10 render nodes per account unless you want to upgrade your account or there is free capacity. Usually, we have hundreds of nodes available, so that could could be rendered in couple hours.

Let us know if there is anything we can do to improve your experience of using ORC.

Best,

Vladimir
ORC Team
fuzzybro
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: Issues with Octane Render Cloud

Postby Goldorak » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:53 pm

Goldorak Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:53 pm
As Fuzzy mentioned, time to finish estimate is not really meaningful the way it's worded now, and we will change.

ORC is designed to typically give you same day turnaround per shot (assuming you can render a single frame <24 hrs at ~1000 OB, and shot is < 1 min). Often times each frame get its on GPU, meaning your entire animation (assuming @ 6 min frame when rendered locally based on your feedback) could be finished a few minutes after the job starts.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to OctaneRender Cloud