OctaneRender cloud solution for images - how will it work?

Forums: OctaneRender cloud solution for images - how will it work?
Discussion forum for OctaneRender Cloud

OctaneRender cloud solution for images - how will it work?

Postby linvanchene » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:52 am

linvanchene Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:52 am
Update/Edit:
- Rephrased the topic title
- removed parts that became obsolete

I think there is a little misunderstanding of how ORC actually works, so let me explain.

[...]

ORC doesn't allocate multiple nodes to render one frame, instead it assigns many nodes to animation jobs. That means if you're rendering a still image you'll get only one render node which is a 4GPU node. Multiple nodes per still frame is a feature for the future and won't happen anytime soon.

Source: viewtopic.php?f=100&t=53458&start=40#p281068

Freelancers and small Studios also have interest in rendering images with ORC not just animations.

The main challenges are

- In advertising rendering is competing with other design solutions that do not require rendering at all
- clients expect images to be rendered and finished within a few hours
- clients expect to make some last minute changes
- especially for print and VR images require very high resolutions that can still take more than a day to render
- if the render fails for some reason there is not enough time to restart and finish on deadline

OctaneRender cloud was supposed to be the solution to all those challenges.

That means if you're rendering a still image you'll get only one render node which is a 4GPU node.

Multiple nodes per still frame is a feature for the future and won't happen anytime soon

How exactly will rendering images over the cloud work if it is limited to only a 4GPU node?

- - -
Last edited by linvanchene on Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Win 10 Pro 64bit | Rendering: 2 x ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 Ti TURBO | Asus RTX NVLink Bridge 4-Slot | Intel Core i7 5820K | ASUS X99-E WS| 64 GB RAM
FAQ: OctaneRender for DAZ Studio - FAQ link collection
linvanchene
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: OctaneRender cloud solution for images "not anytime soon"?

Postby Nuge » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:38 am

Nuge Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:38 am
I could not agree more, Otoy have really missed what there customers want in a cloud service. Let me pick the number of gpu's i want to use but no, lets have a pool of gpus that you get allocated how many based on total demand, so in theory my renders could take longer that they would locally and i have no control over it. CRAZY!!!! let me pick 1000 GPUs and have my renders available in minutes

The other issue is the cost of a slave license. why cant they have a slave ONLY license at a reduced cost. i dont want to be able to use standalone on my slaves just have the GPUs available to me. this seems like a no brainer but Otoy cant get there heads around this concept, or don't want to

Totally disillusioned with how the OCR has been handled/communicated/delivered. In other businesses heads would roll for this kind of total mismanagement of a project!!! Otoys marketing department (or lack of one) needs a complete overhaul its a joke!
C4D R19 / Win 10 / 7 GTX 1080
Nuge
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby AEponym » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:17 pm

AEponym Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:17 pm
I think that tiled rendering would solve your problem: splitting the final image into 9 or 16 tiles, each one considered by orc as separate frames from a 9 or 16 frames animation.

You would thus take advantage of several nodes rendering simultaneously each tile.

I think you can do that right of the box using the tiled camera found in the presets of c4d.

Afterwards you still have to recompose the tiles in Photoshop but a script could help you streamline this operation.
MacPro 3,1 (early 2008) / 2 Xeon 4x2,8Ghz / 16GB RAM / 2 Titan X (1 Hybrid) / OSX 10.10.5 / Cinema 4D R17.048
AEponym
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:38 am

Goldorak Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:38 am
Tiled rendering on ORC is possible and you can feed files as you would frames in animation rendering. That is exactly what we did for RTM last year by the way.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Obizzz » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:27 am

Obizzz Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:27 am
Goldorak wrote:Tiled rendering on ORC is possible and you can feed files as you would frames in animation rendering. That is exactly what we did for RTM last year by the way.

And how automated is this?

If what I'm reading in the posts above yours is true the cloud service is a huuuuge disappointment . Fast rendering of animations is cool and all but I also have the need to do print res renders in minutes rather than hours like using a traditional CPU farm.
Obizzz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:43 pm

Goldorak Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:43 pm
It could be fully automated for large format renders - and if enough users demand this and are willing to pay for it, we can get this going fairly quickly. For example, when we rendered 18K SCM last year on ORC for the RTM content, we transparently stitched the cube faces back together after each GPU rendered the face. So this feature could be revamped for V3 on ORC and allow you to do similar things for large render sizes.

It is cheaper (cost wise) to do tiles on the cloud than to try to recreate network rendering as it is on your LAN. If the result is the same, then I think users will appreciate the cost savings without worrying about how we do it on the backend.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: OctaneRender cloud solution for images - how will it work?

Postby enganimation » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:41 pm

enganimation Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:41 pm
I would be very interested in paying for the ability to render single frame hi-res print ads on the ORC. Currently I have a project where I will be rendering 10 shots of liquor bottles at 11000 x 8500 pixels-- a cloud based solution would speed up my workflow considerably.
enganimation
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to OctaneRender Cloud